Help! Duckling In The Incubator! What Do I Do?

Patchesnposies

Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern New Mexico
Hello folks!

My husband decided he wanted to try and incubate some of our duck eggs. I was highly skeptical and doubtful of his success, as I have heard and read that incubating eggs is hard to do.

Well, it apprears that he has been successful, as we just found a duckling in the incubator! (He wasn't there when DH turned the eggs this morning!)

The little thing looks like it is healthy and strong. He was trying to get around in the incubator and holding his head up, etc....

Our (very old) incubator is set up so that the eggs are sitting on a rack above the water tray. The little duckling's legs were through the rack and he was a paddlin' away. I am worried that he will fall through the rack and drown, so I cut an old kleenex box in half and pared it down to make him a little safe place and put him back into the incubator.

How long does he need to stay in there? After the intital burst of energy he seems a bit lethargic, I am assuming he is tuckered out.

My husband won't be home until late this afternoon. Am I doing things right? What should I do for this little bitty thing?

I have a brooder cage with a heating pad in the bottom, is that a good idea? I have a lamp, hubby will need to bring us a red bulb when he comes home. I could use a regular bulb meanwhile.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated! This is so exciting!

Deb

Oh.....you are so addicted now....you don't even know it yet!
gig.gif

~Rebecca

I posted picutres of our little duckling under the Other Birds, Poultry and Fowl section.

Take a peek and see what a good job my DH has done!

Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice to all who posted in answer to my cry for help!

Deb

Back
Top Bottom