Help! Duckling with twisted leg!

ghostco

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Hi there.
First time mumma duck here! Our ducklings hatched about two days ago but one of the ducklings is having trouble walking - won't extend / keeps his leg tucked up next to his wing.
It was like this when he hatched, and he is otherwise fine - is this the 'limb falling asleep' inside the egg or something more serious?

Are you supplementing Niacin in their feed at all, or just giving them regular chicken starter? Niacin deficiency is the root of a lot of leg issues in developing duckings-- I've noticed that a lot of experienced chicken owners are completely unaware of this particular need in Duck raising.

Are you supplementing Niacin in their feed at all, or just giving them regular chicken starter? Niacin deficiency is the root of a lot of leg issues in developing duckings-- I've noticed that a lot of experienced chicken owners are completely unaware of this particular need in Duck raising.

I've never had chickens, but my mother in law (who's incubator we were using) may have fed them the same feed she does with her chicks instead of the duck starter. They will be on starter from tonight.
Anything else I can add? From what I've read I can add niacin or yeast to the water?

lot of good info here.. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

scroll down and you'll see about slipped tendon.

This looks very possible.
I'll try to get some photos also.

I've never had chickens, but my mother in law (who's incubator we were using) may have fed them the same feed she does with her chicks instead of the duck starter. They will be on starter from tonight.
Anything else I can add? From what I've read I can add niacin or yeast to the water?
This looks very possible.
I'll try to get some photos also.
Most of us have to use chick starter for our ducklings hard to find duck starter. so we supplement their feed with niacin or brewers yeast, you can add the niacin to their drinking water, you have to crush the pill up real good then add to the water making sure it's good and dissolved and it has to be plain niacin too not time release or flush free. I had a hard time finding plain niacin so I have always used brewers yeast sprinkled in their feed.
If it's a slipped tendon you need to get on it asap. you maybe able to slip it back into place manipulating it.

I'll get some Brewers yeast today.
I got some photos but he's so wiggly!
Super spunky little fellow. Doesn't seem to be in pain or anything.

Back
Top Bottom