Help! Duck's beak seems to be rotting?

Is it iceberg lettuce? I have heard it has no nutritional value, but you are giving them feed also. Could you get them a dark leafy veggie? If not I would treat it as a treat and only give small amount to not fill them up on something with no value.

If you can see different layers of skin underneath then it sounds like a fungal or bacterial infection to me. I don't know if neosporin will help if it is a fungal infection. I would see a vet to get the right diagnosis here. Do you have a good vet in your area?

Iceberg lettuce does have some nutritional value, contrary to popular opinion :) It has a range of vitamins and minerals, though it is mainly water, and it does have fewer nutrients than lettuces or greens with darker leaves. But as long as ducks have access to a quality food, having some daily lettuce is not a problem. It's certainly better than something like bread because it will not fill them up (being mainly water) and so they will still go in search of their proper food after the lettuce quickly goes through their system.

I'm pretty sure none of the local vets deal with birds. Mostly cats, dogs, cows, and horses. Kansas State University Veterinary hospital is about an hour from here but I hate to further stress her with the drive. Perhaps they could help diagnose from photos. I put the neosporin on when I locked them up for the night and I'll catch her again in the morning, don't suppose it can hurt. I'll call the vet tomorrow. This stuff always happens on weekends!

The neosporin definitely won't hurt and if it is a bacterial problem it might help. If you can't get easy access to vet advice then see how the neosporin goes and if that makes no difference look into some kind of ointment that's used for fungal skin infections.

Let us know how you go :)

If you can see different layers of skin underneath then it sounds like a fungal or bacterial infection to me. I don't know if neosporin will help if it is a fungal infection. I would see a vet to get the right diagnosis here. Do you have a good vet in your area?

Iceberg lettuce does have some nutritional value, contrary to popular opinion :) It has a range of vitamins and minerals, though it is mainly water, and it does have fewer nutrients than lettuces or greens with darker leaves. But as long as ducks have access to a quality food, having some daily lettuce is not a problem. It's certainly better than something like bread because it will not fill them up (being mainly water) and so they will still go in search of their proper food after the lettuce quickly goes through their system.

Ok that good to know because that's the lettuce we actually eat. I got my info about only giving small quantities on the sticky for duck treats.

I have finally heard back from K-state Vet Hospital and they agreed with the neosporin treatment and replied that without seeing the duck they could not determine if was bacterial, fungal or an injury. It seems like her beak is healing and is definitely not any worse. No other ducks are showing signs of a problem. I think that it is a deficiency due to her laying eggs so soon (she's the only one laying) and I also saw her and my female khaki campbell having some sort or beak battle making me think that it's an injury on top of the deficiency. Sound possible?

I've cut back on the lettuce treats, however we turned them loose in what's left of the garden and they had a great time!

Last edited:
my female pekin duck has the same thing they are soft and there are also green spots. she digs in the mud a lot more than the male. should i call the vet .

I didn't take her to the vet. The only vet around that would know anything was the Kansas State University student vet hospital and it would be very expensive. She is doing fine however. Her beak is still pale and spotty but she behaves perfectly fine. Her feet are still very bright orange and healthy looking. I no longer put neosporin on it since the fleshyness healed. I really don't know what it is but it doesn't seem to bother her and the rest of the ducks are also fine. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom