May_1

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2021
So, I have three ducks and they live in a cage which I modified for them to live easily. Today, I gave them their breakfast and came back. I heard some noises and went to see what happened. One of my ducks bill was injured and bleeding. I brought it inside to understand what happened. So a piece of the cage got stuck to its bill and my duck tried to get out of it while the other two tried to help it too. So when it pulled it's beak out of it. It got injured. Now we have fixed the areas where the wire has a possiblity to come out.
This happened about an hour ago.
Now the bleeding has stopped and the wound is open showing dark red colour inside.

Will it go back to normal? And what should I do to heal it? I attached a picture

(P.S I'm sorry if this has been asked before but my situation was a bit different so I wanted to ask, also, I'm new here)

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_140919.jpg
    IMG_20210704_140919.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 57
It will heal, but maybe not close up. Sounds like the ducks might need some more room plus the "cage" will need fixed so that the ducks are not to be able to do this again or they could puncture other parts of their body. If they tear one of their feet, it will heal, but it will not be whole again. The skin will not grow new. Or it could be worse, like an eye.

If you want suggestions, you could try posting clear photos of their set up - there are lots of knowledgable duck people here that would be willing to offer advice. The more room for ducks the better. :wee

My gander did something similar to his bill, it filled in, and can't even tell where it was. Put some Apple cider vinegar in their drinking bucket. 1 Tab per gallon. at that strength, it won't sting and it is great for cleaning out bacteria that may get into that hole. When you say cage does it have any solid material around it? did you know raccoons can reach into pens made of wire and try to drag a duck out through. A mink or weasel can get through 1" openings and do horrific damage to our birds?
:welcome

Best wishes for your duck's recovery. There are some extremely knowledgeable folks here who will be happy to guide you every step of the way .

You don't have to apologize for asking questions; it's always scary for me when a critter gets injured and I RACE to this forum to post. You've joined a great community; welcome to BYC.

It will heal, but maybe not close up. Sounds like the ducks might need some more room plus the "cage" will need fixed so that the ducks are not to be able to do this again or they could puncture other parts of their body. If they tear one of their feet, it will heal, but it will not be whole again. The skin will not grow new. Or it could be worse, like an eye.

If you want suggestions, you could try posting clear photos of their set up - there are lots of knowledgable duck people here that would be willing to offer advice. The more room for ducks the better. :wee
Thank you for the advice! Yes I have removed the bits which could possibly cause them to injure themselves again. Also there is plenty of room for them at the moment and I can’t really upgrade the set up for now. I might soon though.

Thanks again!

My gander did something similar to his bill, it filled in, and can't even tell where it was. Put some Apple cider vinegar in their drinking bucket. 1 Tab per gallon. at that strength, it won't sting and it is great for cleaning out bacteria that may get into that hole. When you say cage does it have any solid material around it? did you know raccoons can reach into pens made of wire and try to drag a duck out through. A mink or weasel can get through 1" openings and do horrific damage to our birds?
:welcome
Thanks! I’ll add apple cider vinegar now. Also, their cage is made up of steel and just a bit of modifications with a wire to keep things in place. In our area, there aren’t really any such animals but their setup is pretty safe for them.

Best wishes for your duck's recovery. There are some extremely knowledgeable folks here who will be happy to guide you every step of the way .

You don't have to apologize for asking questions; it's always scary for me when a critter gets injured and I RACE to this forum to post. You've joined a great community; welcome to BYC.
Thank you!!

Last year one of my ducks sliced open her beak, it did end up getting infected, required a vet visit & a round of antibiotics which was probably avoidable. If possible, don't let her outside to fill the wound with dirt and muck, keep her drinking water clean and spray the area with vetericyn. If you can get over the counter version of silver sulfadiazine that was prescribed by our vet and sped up the healing process. It did take months to disappear, but now she only has a teeny scar.

Last year one of my ducks sliced open her beak, it did end up getting infected, required a vet visit & a round of antibiotics which was probably avoidable. If possible, don't let her outside to fill the wound with dirt and muck, keep her drinking water clean and spray the area with vetericyn. If you can get over the counter version of silver sulfadiazine that was prescribed by our vet and sped up the healing process. It did take months to disappear, but now she only has a teeny scar.
Okay, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom