Help! Ducks foot fell off!!

I just scheduled an actual in person vet appointment on Monday. Can’t believe they can get her in that quick! The vet said they can proscribe her meds etc while we are there. I’ve never brought any of my birds to the vet, just our dogs and cats. How should I bring her? Like with a carrier or..? Anyone have any tips?
Thanks!

Hi, this morning I went out to the duck house and everyone was exited to see me as usual. The was wan Pekin girl who is 5 months old who didn’t care Much and just layed down. She had water frozen to her back (it’s getting cold at night in the 20s) and she didn’t get up. Before church I went out to the coop again to make sure she could get up. (I thought at first maybe she layed her first egg and didn’t want it to freeze) well when I got her up she could walk but no egg. Her web and toe was off!! She has one patch of web and 2 toes left now. I don’t know what to really do. I just got home from church now and think I’m going to get some warm water out there for her to bath? She is alone in her house so no one can bite at the toe. I mean her whole toe is off! I can see her bone. Should I bath her in epsome salts and then wrap it? It wasn’t bleeding much this morning and I didn’t notice it last night when I put them to bed (it was dark) should I put anti biotic ointment on it? She have blood on her feathers so it did bleed some. I’ll post pictures today.
I would keep her inside while she heals so that she isn‘t picked on or stepped on by the other ducks. Clean and bandage the wound.
The products you use can depend on the depth exposure of the wound. Can you post pictures?

I just scheduled an actual in person vet appointment on Monday. Can’t believe they can get her in that quick! The vet said they can proscribe her meds etc while we are there. I’ve never brought any of my birds to the vet, just our dogs and cats. How should I bring her? Like with a carrier or..? Anyone have any tips?
Thanks!
We put ours in a small plastic storage container (similar to one you might store files in), place a folded towel under under them for a soft place to lay. We use several puppy pads on top (to easily take a dirty one out) or another towel which can be refolded so she isn‘t sitting in her mess for too long. Depending on how long the ride is one towel may do.

Back
Top Bottom