Help! Ducks foot fell off!!

Pics

FernbergFarms

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Northern Minnesota
Hi, this morning I went out to the duck house and everyone was exited to see me as usual. The was wan Pekin girl who is 5 months old who didn’t care Much and just layed down. She had water frozen to her back (it’s getting cold at night in the 20s) and she didn’t get up. Before church I went out to the coop again to make sure she could get up. (I thought at first maybe she layed her first egg and didn’t want it to freeze) well when I got her up she could walk but no egg. Her web and toe was off!! She has one patch of web and 2 toes left now. I don’t know what to really do. I just got home from church now and think I’m going to get some warm water out there for her to bath? She is alone in her house so no one can bite at the toe. I mean her whole toe is off! I can see her bone. Should I bath her in epsome salts and then wrap it? It wasn’t bleeding much this morning and I didn’t notice it last night when I put them to bed (it was dark) should I put anti biotic ointment on it? She have blood on her feathers so it did bleed some. I’ll post pictures today.

I would not leave water out that they can get into when it's going to freeze. Some years back a duck slept in his pool overnight and his feet froze he lost both feet, I followed the thread for quite a while, and then the op stopped posting. So we never knew how it turned out. You need to get her inside out of the dirt. You also might want to think of an antibiotic since bacteria is probably into the wound now. And try and get some real good pics of her foot. Wrap her in a towel so she can't fight you. The best way in the world to treat a duck.

You def need to keep her and your other female separated from the drakes for now. Keeping the 2 females together will help the one who is injured so she won't be lonely.

Here is where to buy Baytril
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10
Or if you can get her to a vet then they can treat and also give meds.

I've got a wild Gander that comes around everyday and he lost part of the outside toe and some of the webbing, similar to your duck. The actual wound on his foot healed well without any intervention (not that I'm saying this is something that doesn't need attention and care, by any means). I thought a snapping turtle did this, but now that I see how much trouble he's having in just trying to walk, I'm unsure.
Please keep an eye on your ducks good foot just as much as the other. With her being a heavy breed, they're more prone to leg and foot issues, especially bumblefoot. Since she's been limping and getting around the best she can (in an unnatural gait and posture), she's at risk for scrapes on the bottom of her feet, which is an invitation for bumblefoot. If she was my duck, I'd check the bottoms of both of her feet every other day, AT LEAST. I need to purchase some duck shoes for my Pekin but for now (and the past year) I just keep her foot bandaged and wrapped up at all times, changing everything frequently. I don't do this for any reason except prevention at this point. I wish you the very best with your duck 💜 Thank you for sharing an update on her. I am so happy to read she's doing well 😍

20210913_103036.jpg

Pictures would be good. How long have you had below freezing weather there? Was her toe black and leathery? Frostbite can occur when feet are wet and temps are below freezing. Ducks, which I am not very familiar with, can withstand cold water more, but they can be frozen to the ground I believe. Could her toes have been crushed rather than frostbitten? I would only bring her in to soak her if you can keep her inside and get her fully dry afterward. I will tag @Isaac 0 and @Miss Lydia for advice.

@HeatherKellyB She is doing a lot better! Yes, the vet said they couldn’t do a lot for her. But they said it wasn’t infected and that the black scab would most likely fall off. So that’s good. She also said having her wear a shoe would be a good idea for this winter. So now I’m trying to find a place that sells good duck shoes. Shes gotten used to walking and is at about 80% normal now and barely limping.
Thank you for asking and for everyone’s help😊❤️

Back
Top Bottom