Help! Ducks foot fell off!!

Pics

FernbergFarms

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Northern Minnesota
Hi, this morning I went out to the duck house and everyone was exited to see me as usual. The was wan Pekin girl who is 5 months old who didn’t care Much and just layed down. She had water frozen to her back (it’s getting cold at night in the 20s) and she didn’t get up. Before church I went out to the coop again to make sure she could get up. (I thought at first maybe she layed her first egg and didn’t want it to freeze) well when I got her up she could walk but no egg. Her web and toe was off!! She has one patch of web and 2 toes left now. I don’t know what to really do. I just got home from church now and think I’m going to get some warm water out there for her to bath? She is alone in her house so no one can bite at the toe. I mean her whole toe is off! I can see her bone. Should I bath her in epsome salts and then wrap it? It wasn’t bleeding much this morning and I didn’t notice it last night when I put them to bed (it was dark) should I put anti biotic ointment on it? She have blood on her feathers so it did bleed some. I’ll post pictures today.

Hi, this morning I went out to the duck house and everyone was exited to see me as usual. The was wan Pekin girl who is 5 months old who didn’t care Much and just layed down. She had water frozen to her back (it’s getting cold at night in the 20s) and she didn’t get up. Before church I went out to the coop again to make sure she could get up. (I thought at first maybe she layed her first egg and didn’t want it to freeze) well when I got her up she could walk but no egg. Her web and toe was off!! She has one patch of web and 2 toes left now. I don’t know what to really do. I just got home from church now and think I’m going to get some warm water out there for her to bath? She is alone in her house so no one can bite at the toe. I mean her whole toe is off! I can see her bone. Should I bath her in epsome salts and then wrap it? It wasn’t bleeding much this morning and I didn’t notice it last night when I put them to bed (it was dark) should I put anti biotic ointment on it? She have blood on her feathers so it did bleed some. I’ll post pictures today.
All I know is I would definitely clean it in some water maybe to get any blood or dirt off and then spray some poultry wound spray on it. Then maybe some antibiotic ointment without pain reliever and wrap it

Pictures would be good. How long have you had below freezing weather there? Was her toe black and leathery? Frostbite can occur when feet are wet and temps are below freezing. Ducks, which I am not very familiar with, can withstand cold water more, but they can be frozen to the ground I believe. Could her toes have been crushed rather than frostbitten? I would only bring her in to soak her if you can keep her inside and get her fully dry afterward. I will tag @Isaac 0 and @Miss Lydia for advice.

Okay how should I wrap it? It isn’t below freezing yet just 20s at night. Didn’t think it was cold enough for frost bite. Maybe it got stuck to something and she ripped it off or maybe a fox could get her foot threw the fencing but nothing else idk. Not too concerned at this point how it happened, just concerned on how to help her get better.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Should I use any of this? I heard epsom salt baths were good for them just not sure if this brand is..?

Yes saline will clean out the wound. You really need to get some good picture here so we know exactly what is going on because treatment maybe different depending on what has happened.
Was she sitting in water and it froze around her foot?

You def want to keep her in as sanitary area as possible while the wound is open. Inside would be best.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom