Sick hen

karint

Songster
May 24, 2019
Here is my sweet girl. It’s been insanely cold here and this morning she seemed really off and her bumb had discharge coming out of it and she didn’t want to come off the roost. Brought her in bathed her in Epsom salts and left for work. Came home and she’s layed an egg and is eating and drinking and talking to me. Gave her a good check over and no mites or lice and what I thought was maybe vent gleet doesn’t smell. I’m undecided if her comb looks paler than normal. What else can I look for cause she was defiantly off this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_2334.jpeg
    IMG_2334.jpeg
    611.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2330.jpeg
    IMG_2330.jpeg
    518.4 KB · Views: 7
Huh. My hen did the same thing yesterday, but today she seems fine. I would just put Gatorade in her water for the electrolytes,
I added some rooster booster to hers. Did yourse have the discharge? Mine still does a little but it doesn’t smell

It could just be some urates or loose poop, or she might be having some egg laying problem. I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet or Tums in case she has another egg coming right behind.

I added some rooster booster to hers. Did yourse have the discharge? Mine still does a little but it doesn’t smell
Same here. Gooey poo and stuff stuck to her bum, and yesterday she was very tired and wouldnt move or eat or do anything and today she was her quirky self as usual. I have no clue what her deal was. Maybe it has something to do with ovulation?

Last edited:
It could just be some urates or loose poop, or she might be having some egg laying problem. I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet or Tums in case she has another egg coming right behind.
That’s what I first thought when I grabbed her this morning was egg bound then I saw her bum. I will grab some tums first thing in the morning. So I just crush one in her water?

Kim
Same here. Gooey poo and stuff stuck to her bum, and yesterday she was very tired and would move or eat or do anything and today she was her quirky self as usual. I have no clue what her deal was. Maybe it has something to do with ovulation?
thanks that makes me feel a lot better. Mine seems a lot better this evening but it’s way to cold to put her back in her so I will keep an eye on her inside for a bit longer.

Kim

thanks that makes me feel a lot better. Mine seems a lot better this evening but it’s way to cold to put her back in her so I will keep an eye on her inside for a bit longer.
Thumbs up! lol I’m glad you feel better about your hen! I hope with all my heart she is better tomorrow! ♥️♥️♥️

Here is my sweet girl. It’s been insanely cold here and this morning she seemed really off and her bumb had discharge coming out of it and she didn’t want to come off the roost. Brought her in bathed her in Epsom salts and left for work. Came home and she’s layed an egg and is eating and drinking and talking to me. Gave her a good check over and no mites or lice and what I thought was maybe vent gleet doesn’t smell. I’m undecided if her comb looks paler than normal. What else can I look for cause she was defiantly off this morning.

That’s what I first thought when I grabbed her this morning was egg bound then I saw her bum. I will grab some tums first thing in the morning. So I just crush one in her water?
Just give her the TUMS directly, it will not mix in water very well at all, been there done that.
For TUMS, I usually break it into a couple of pieces and then put a piece at a time in the beak. For some reason I can't get a hen to take the whole thing like they will with a Calcium Citrate tablet.

Thumbs up! lol I’m glad you feel better about your hen! I hope with all my heart she is better tomorrow! ♥️♥️♥️
Thanks. I stuck her in the barn just a few minutes ago. She is acting like nothing was ever wrong but I’m going to keep a close eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom