Elder hen acting off

WhidbeyFlock

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
Hey all. We have a hen who is about 5 years old. Over the past month or so she’s been acting strange. I saw her lying down and resting her head on a board. I walked up to her and she didn’t run away. She seemed to not be able to/want to put weight on her legs. I isolated her in the “hospital” cage for a few days, gave her some electrolytes and tried to figure out what was wrong. Gave her a nice epsom salt bath, checked for mites- didn’t see any. I didn’t feel an egg in her abdomen. Her legs looked a little bit like they might have scaley leg mites (maybe? But not bad if so) so I treated her for that- I have a spray and put Vaseline on the feet/legs. After a few days she perked up and I put her back with the flock. Now, about 3 weeks later, I noticed she’s stayed in the coop/on her roost bars for the past 2 days, even when the rest of the flock is free ranging. Could it be scaly leg mites? The scales are not lifted much if at all. I’ll need to get a pic later.

Here are her feet. I took her out of the coop and she seems to be walking normally.

Attachments

• IMG_5368.jpeg
    IMG_5368.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom