Help!! Ducks picking on one of my chickens

Jamity46

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2018
I have 2 ducks and they have lived harmoniously with my 6 chickens for a year now. We got them all at the same time and have had no problems. Just yesterday I noticed one of my chickens A bald spot on her neck and a few broken feathers on her back. Today I came home to check on her and now it’s really bad and I witnessed both ducks going after her and hurting her. She would get away and they would keep going after her. I have the ducks separated from the chickens but I think I need to get rid of the ducks. Should I contact local farms?? Any ideas?

What breed are your ducks and what sex? This time of years hormones are beginning to soar and picking is going to happen. My Muscovys will grab a chicken if she gets In there space but they can usually get away. Now drakes are a different story they will not only pick but will also try and mate with a chicken hen which can be a death sentence to a hen. Keeping them separated except during free rangingwould probably be your best bet. Unless you just want to rehome. If that is what you’ve decided to do please find good homes for them.

They are khaki Campbell’s and yes both males. I had them free ranging outside coop/run and they still were going after her and it’s just the one!!! All 6 chickens would be together and they would make a bee line for the one every single time!

Try the rehoming thread here on BYC and craigslist . You def don’t want them to keep going after your hen. They can’t help how hormonal they are either but they need to be placed with a flock with female ducks or maybe someone who would like to just have drakes

Last edited:
I think I need to rehome them but not sure how to go about it.
Or you need to get about 6 girlfriends for them :celebrate
Without their own girls they will probably never leave your hens alone. As to why they've picked out just one. . who knows. Sometimes even with enough girls they will pick a favorite girl duck as well and you still have a problem. :(

Back
Top Bottom