Help ducks shrink wrapped, got part of she'll peeled and beak is out

LucyLingle

Hatching
Oct 21, 2021
IMG_20211021_085425513.jpg

Has she moved at all? I don't hatch ducks and I have only hatched two batches of eggs with the chicks hatching overnight while I slept - no problems. That being said, from all of the threads I have read, you should peel a little back from the beak. If she starts bleeding at all, stop. @Lacy Duckwing

Last edited:
Did you pull apart the shell? Moisten the membrane with coconut oil, Vaseline or even a little original Neosporin (pain reliever free) with a q tip and leave it be. That duck is not shrink wrapped and you can clearly still see the veins. If you start pulling apart the shell now it will bleed out. A shrink wrapped membrane looks like you wrapped the duck in cling wrap and will be tightly dried to the ducklings body.

Take @AstroDuck advice, not mine. Looks like he knows what he is doing. I really don't, :idunno just trying to help a BYC friend out any way I can! :hugs
It looks like they got a little impatient and started to peel the shell away before the duckling was ready to hatch. Because of this they most likely will end up having to assist since the membrane is now exposed to the open air, but they will need to wait until the veins dry up otherwise it's the equivalent of slitting an actual vein. There is always the possibility that another duckling got feisty kicked it over and the shell cracked off which does happen, but I'm not seeing any ducklings hatched to do that. Also she not he:)

It looks like they got a little impatient and started to peel the shell away before the duckling was ready to hatch. Because of this they most likely will end up having to assist since the membrane is now exposed to the open air, but they will need to wait until the veins dry up otherwise it's the equivalent of slitting an actual vein. There is always the possibility that another duckling got feisty kicked it over and the shell cracked off which does happen, but I'm not seeing any ducklings hatched to do that. Also she not he:)
Of course, always hard to tell on the internet. (Though I should have known. It seems that more females care for their chickens like children. Not saying no guys do but...)

Back
Top Bottom