Help-dying Chicken

aggieterpkatie

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Maryland
I found one of my hens in the nesting box, almost dead. Looks like she's got a prolapsed rectum. She's barely hanging in there. Eyes closed, slow breathing, straining at the vent. I tried to wash it and put it back, but it's still coming out. Is there anything I can do for her? She's less than a year old. I'm not even sure she'll live through the next 10 minutes.

I've never had a prolapsed rectum for a chicken. When my dog had a prolapsed rectum the vet told us to put prep h on it. If you have some it can't hurt. It did help the dog. If you have some witch hazel that might help too.

Last edited:
It probably is a prolapsed cloaca from egg laying. Clean it up and put some sugar on it and see if you can get it back in. THe prep H may help too..good luck...get her warm and in the dark. Put a heating pad on low to medium under the box. Electrolytes in the water. (((hugs))) TErri O

Can you feel an egg? If she hasn't passed the egg you'll need to get that out or she'll just keep pushing and prolapsing. Sometimes putting them in warm water will help them relax so that the egg will pass. The couple of times I've had it happen to my hens I've used the prep H on them. Keeping her in a small cage in a darkened area will help keep her from laying for a couple of days.

Get her cleaned up good, a 15 minute sink soak works well then apply granulated sugar to the prolapse to help shrink it back in. Prep h also works, but almost everybody has sugar in the house and it will work too. Get her nice and dry (blowdrier on low) and put her in chicken hospital (dog crate or...) someplace dark/dim and warm. You want to keep her in a darkend space to hopefully keep her from laying for the next few days. After she's cleaned up and settled in try offering her some scrambled eggs and water. Sometimes it takes a day or two and maybe a couple of treatments to get the prolapse fixed, but as long as she's not pecking at it that can be ok and still work out. Best of luck with her!

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately she passed.
sad.png
I just found her too late I think.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom