HELP!!! Dying hen!

bamagurl87

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
I made a post yesterday about a sick (now dying) hen that we have. I'll post the link so y'all can get a little background info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=105496

She's gotten, I would say, considerably worse. She's twisting her head upwards and to the left, almost like she has no control over it. It's actually twisted so badly that I don't think she's eating or drinking properly. We put VetRx in it yesterday and again today. Tonight, using a warm, wet paper towel, we gently wiped her eye. On doing this, something came out...no clue exactly what it was, it just looked like gook. After that, we gently opened her eye and saw that her pupil was dilated. So, we dropped a couple drops of the VetRx directly on her eye...and it didn't move, not even a flinch. I'm, obviously, no expert but it almost seems like the right side of her head is paralyzed. (Her right eye and the right side of her neck...causing it to twist upwards.) She has no other symptoms. No respiratory problems, her poo looks fine...everything seems normal, except her eye and neck. I'm completely stumped at this point. Any ideas? I'm not holding out a lot of hope that she'll make it, but now I'm also worried about the other chickens, seeing as how we only just took her out of the chicken yard yesterday. Is it contagious? I don't know....

Please help!

Keep her warm, isolated and hydrated. Is it possible she got a bump on the head and has some neurological issue or got into something not good for her that has fried her nervous system? Or perhaps an eye infection that has spread to the nervious system? If it was pus that came out, perhaps antibiotic eye drops might be in order for this case. If it's something you suspect as viral though, then antibiotics wont do a thing for what she has.

Other than that... I don't know what to say. It sounds like some sort of paralysis.

Try giving her Vitamin B complex and make sure you have thiamin. Also a few drops of poly vi sol and vitamin E. I also recommend force feeding her if she is not eating. You can mix crumbles with gator aid or some other type of electrolyte solution and use a dropper to feed. Definitly get some electrolytes into her ASAP. Terramycin for her eye should help clear it up. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom