HELP!! Dying quail chicks

Clutch_Louis

Hatching
Jan 28, 2018
I hatched 6 coturnix quail chicks. Its day 4 in the brooder, 3 have died. The remaining appear very weak. They lie on the back and kick and flail until eventually stop moving(and *die*). Is it because I havent taught them how to eat? I really dont have any hope for the remaining three as they are on the verge of death. What causes this???

Do they have the vital things: Warmth, food and water?
Have you seen any of them eat or drink?
What are you feeding them?

I taught them how to drink by dipping their beaks into the feeder. I have seen them drink but not a lot I have a 60 watt table lamp as the heating lamp. How hot should it be and how can i tell? And crushed chicken feed but i tried by best to get them to eat but they wouldnt eat. Should i crush them even more? I tried the tapping technique but they seemed
uninterested

They need to be on a starter feed, usually it's already crushed to the right size for their little beaks. You could try soaking the food in a little warm water so it's nice and soft for them

I know how it feels to loose the little buggers. they are just so small, and so delicate, it is hard not to give them to much of this, or too little of that. the best of luck to you.

The best way to get quail chicks drinking is to tap the surface of the water (same for eating). They'll come over to investigate and start pecking around where your finger is tapping. Keep doing it until you see them drinking and do it every now and again after that until you are sure they've got it. Scatter ground up food everywhere in the brooder initially as they will instinctively peck and you want them to find food wherever they peck. By about day 3 everyone will have figured out where the food bowl is.

Warmth is essential and you need to monitor it with a thermometer to ensure they are warm enough. Ambient air temperature can hugely affect the heat in the brooder so you must keep an eye on it. Quail chicks are delicate (especially in that first week), but they grow up to be tough little birds.

It's not uncommon to lose the odd coturnix quail chick so even if you lose one or two next time please know that it's normal (but to lose all of them isn't so something wasn't right). :hugs

Do try again because they are the cutest little things, and sweet and friendly as adults.

Back
Top Bottom