HELP!!! Easy, FAST, makeshift brooder pics please!!!!!

Cardboard boxes. Cut a opening at the top which double as the door. Done.

When through, simply recycle.

Last edited:
its pumpkin season and the markets have huge boxes for them go ask around someone will have a huge box to keep them in. Call around and just see who might be willing to help you?

Pumpkin boxes.
Fridge boxes.
Plastic storage bins.
An old chest of drawers laying on it's back with wire over top.
Dog crate with cardboard.
Rabbit hutch.

I've brooded in pretty much anything cheap or free I can get my hands on.

I don't have a pic, but we used an inflatable child's pool. Worked awesome and was super cheap.
smile.png

The sticky on top of this forum has a thread exactly like this ... a ton of great information, ideas, and pictures. Might I recommend you check that first? There are hundreds of "replies" already! I hope you find something that will work for you!

This is an old thread, but oh well...If anyone wants to know, I've used:

• Rubbermaid bins
  • cardboard boxes
  • dog crates/kennels (great for an outdoor catproof brooder)
  • old tractor tires (turned on side, part-filled with bedding, with a makeshift lid)
  • bathtub (in a pinch)
  • anything big enough, sturdy enough, and safe enough

Right now I have a couple chicks in a red cooler! Works great (I've only got two new babies in there, not roomy, but still). The heat from the heat lamp would be too much if aimed down, because of the insulation, but if I set it on the cookie sheets I'm using as lids (this is indoors, not secure enough for outdoors) the heat radiates down the walls and makes it comfortably warm down at the chicks' level. Pics:

I usually place a brick on top of the cookie sheets for stability so my dog can't accidentally knock them down. :) I really recommend using cookie sheets as lids, works great with almost all of the listed options and really comes in handy when they start learning to fly out!!

Back
Top Bottom