HELP!!! Easy, FAST, makeshift brooder pics please!!!!!

new2chickens2011

Songster
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Title says it all. THanks in advance
big_smile.png

Quote:
X2
Exactly what we did except used a 100 w bulb on one end. Quick clamp metal light attached to board laying across top of tote.

69907_100_3307.jpg

And when they were bigger used a dog cage with cardboard wrapped around it in attempts to keep them and pine shavings in.

69907_100_3315.jpg

jumpy.gif
got no good pictures but i have used a giant rubbermaid container with a 40w bulb hanging at one end and food/water at the other end... was the easiest and quickest spur of the moment brooder for my party of 5... i didn't have to go out and buy anything with everything i needed around the house...

You can get a produce box from the store. It is pumpkin time and I see them at the pumpkin patches. Depending on how many chicks you have, they work quite well. I used a watermelon one for 25 chicks until they were 6 weeks old.
clap.gif

Here's one I made from a big box. I cut a rectangle out and put a spare piece of polystyrene (yes, that clear plastic IS polystyrene) in as a window. I cut three of the top flaps off and, using those and the piece for the window, I made a closable lid to keep the dust in. This means they can have a nice deep litter too. The food is hung off the copper pipe going across the top and the water is on a couple of 2"x3" I had lying around. I cut a couple of groves in the lid and side to close the lid over the pipe.
It's fabulous. If I look inside, I can se the thick layer of dust on the electric plate, but non in the room!

In a pinch you can also use a bathtub. Line the bottom with paper towels, put a plug in the drain, clamp a heat lamp (be sure to secure the clamp with a zip tie or something similar) to a chair placed either next to or inside the tub, add feed and water containers, and you have a brooder. Then everytime you go in to use the toilet, you can talk to them!

68634_dsc_0200.jpg

here is one I used for my latest EE chicks...being careful to keep light well above, it did melt a portion before I realized it!

no pics, sorry, but i've used...
rubbermaid tubs (all sizes)
bottom half of a doghouse w/ board across the openning
bird cage
aquarium
sock drawer (broody found a way into dresser in the barn years ago)

wire used for the top varied, including the tops to the tubs, with holes cut out (wire inserted into sections on some) sections of an x-pen (for dogs), wire closet shelving, cage wire, towel held on with a belt around the sides)

Back
Top Bottom