Help educate this new Isa Brown owner

TheChips

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Hello there

So I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with and point me in the right direction.

I have 3 (13 week) Isa Browns

I go back and forth on what sex I think they are.

This is the youngest of the 3. Her name is "Baby Girl" though now I think she is a male. If shes a male maybe she can be an essentric/flamboyant male. I feel she is a male because of how her tail feathers hang down at the tips.

This is the middle Isa we call her "Rio". Im assuming she is female because of how her tail feathers are more round shaped. And she seems to be the most docile one. Doesnt fight with my Cochins and can hand out with them without wanting to be a bully. Shes calm and sweet.

Rio is on the left, Mr Chip is on the right

This is Mr. Chip the oldest. We always felt he is a male just because of how he acts. And he things he is in charge of the whole coop area.

I have concerns because their crowns havent started to turn red. The 4 rooster Cochins all have it and look like little miniature roosters.

Here are my questions:
1. What sex do you think these 3 are?
2. They havent started crowing yet, is this normal? I have 5 much younger Cochin chicks and 4 out of the 5 are crowing all the time. Are pretty good at it actually (they have crowing competitions) . So because they have been developing a lot faster, Im curious why my Isas havent started crowing.

3. I believe the middle one "rio" is a female and if she is, do I have to feed her different feed from the roosters? When I am at the farm store I see pellets for laying hens but dont know if that is required. I would assume it would be since the oyster in the feed helps make the egg shell stronger. Please correct me if I am wrong.

4. If Rio is a hen, do hens usually start showing signs before they lay their first egg?

I know this is a lot to read, so for those who took the time out to read this, thank you! And I look forward to your response.

- Monica

Last edited:
They are all pullets, as flockwatcher said,they are sex linked for easy sexing. The males are white with red shoulders while the females are red with some white on their tail feathers.
You can start feeding them layer once they all have started laying eggs.

Those are all females. Males would be white with red patches on the shoulder and larger combs. Your hens should start laying around 18-22 weeks, although I've had a red sex link hen start at 16 weeks. Feed everyone the same feed, offer the hens their shells or oyster shell and you'll be good to go.

Those are all females. Males would be white with red patches on the shoulder and larger combs. Your hens should start laying around 18-22 weeks, although I've had a red sex link hen start at 16 weeks. Feed everyone the same feed, offer the hens their shells or oyster shell and you'll be good to go.
x2

You have all pullets.
smile.png

Well I guess I have to change her name to Mrs Chip instead! :p

I found my first 3 eggs today. Now I wonder which one is laying them.

Back
Top Bottom