Help : Edwards pheasant cock does not tread hen

xitrum

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Hi everyone,
Please help me with the following issues:
- I have raised 2 pair of Edwards pheasant ( mating in pair ) . Up to March 2012, they are at the age of 2 years old.
Hens have been laying eggs since Mid Feb so far.
I have observed them on daily basis quite frequently but I have not ever seen cock treading hen yet.
The first 6 eggs put in incubator were not fertile ( by candling). ( note: 2 out of 6 eggs have been in incubator 25 days so far, not hatched actually !!)

Does anyone face similar issue and please provide me with advice.
Thanks in advance
Xitrum

He will in time and you more then likely will not be there to see it.I have never seen my birds actually breed,but I get fertile eggs.Just feed,water and let them be and you will have chicks before you know it.
This is a problem when you get to anxious,you disturb them and slow down their mating process.What species do you raise?
In N.H.,Tony.

Hi Tony,
Thank you for your advice.
For pheasant, I have raised Red Golden, Edwards, Swinhoe and Grey Peacock Pheasant ( for Grey, I am looking for a hen, still because I lost the hen last year)
For pheasant, I have been breeding them in the highland of Vietnam. Over there, average temperature is arround 17 Celcius degree for year long.

They are most active at dawn and dusk and sometimes copulate on ledges/wide perches above the ground.
Pull any feed that contains soy as the new families of soybean are deleterious for reproductive health of birds.
Dried or fresh shrimp in the shell with no salt and bamboo shoots, cooked rice and millet are readily available in Vietnam ( as well as other places) this is a complete diet far superior to any pheasant feed or straight grain. They require a full range of amino acids and will not reproduce successfuly without it. You may have had better luck in previous years using the same feeds but soybean meal is evolving and companies are using more and more of it. Old fruit- like over ripe bananas and mangosteen will help clear the bodies of the soy hormone phytoestrogens.

Back
Top Bottom