Help! Egg Bound Chicken.

SMB4647

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Our lovely Barred Rock has been acting weird since yesterday and we realized its because she is eggbound. We have tried soaking her in water and given her some time to see if she can push it out herself, but she tried to fly away when we tried to catch her and landed pretty heavily on her bottom and we think the egg cracked.

We can feel the hard egg below her vent, but it is not visible yet and we are not sure how to get it out. I dont think she can pass this on her own.

We are considering trying to go in and get it, but are not sure which direction goes to the egg and which goes to her insides.

We don't have a vet nearby who can help.

Any suggestions? She's in a lot of pain and I'm worried we are going to lose her.

Do you notice any blood on the vent? You don’t want it to become infected - try to get any egg shell out gently by lubricating your fingers with Vaseline/Olive oil. Next flush her out with some mild vinegar solution to prevent infection. If you can, try to get her on some anti biotics, although you would need a vet to prescribe this. Make sure she’s getting enough soluble/insoluble grit and nutrients. Hope things get better soon xx

Do you notice any blood on the vent? You don’t want it to become infected - try to get any egg shell out gently by lubricating your fingers with Vaseline/Olive oil. Next flush her out with some mild vinegar solution to prevent infection. If you can, try to get her on some anti biotics, although you would need a vet to prescribe this. Make sure she’s getting enough soluble/insoluble grit and nutrients. Hope things get better soon xx

I don’t see any blood but we’re having a hard time getting to the egg to get it out. It’s only cracked, not Completely broken. Any advice?
Thanks so much

I don’t see any blood but we’re having a hard time getting to the egg to get it out. It’s only cracked, not Completely broken. Any advice?
Thanks so much
Aaah I thought it had completely broken - if it’s just cracked, try lubricating the vent with Vaseline/olive oil and see if she passes it whole: she needs to pass it within a day or so before it becomes dangerous

Back
Top Bottom