HELP! Egg Bound or something else? PICTURE

TexChik

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Texas
This is my 10 month old Welsummer. Today she started moving very slowly and her vent is swollen. I gave her a warm bath and cleaned off a lot of poop. She is separated from the rest of the flock and under a heat lamp. She seems to be pushing quite a bit. The bumps around the vent have me worried. Any idea what's going on? Her vent is upside down in this picture. I had her laying on my lap. Not sure if that matters for a diagnosis.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but it looks to me more like the early stages of prolapse... hopefully someone with more experience with this can chime in.
Ive had an egg bound hen before and there were clear signs that there was an egg stuck in the vent. With this I don't see any sign of their being an egg. Prolapse is where the uterus starts to come out of the vent and in many cases it needs to be sterilized and pushed back in.
Good luck

Thanks. Do you have experience with prolapse? I've never dealt with it. What do you sterilize with? I'm about to check for an egg, so hopefully that will tell me if she's egg bound.

Back
Top Bottom