Help! Egg Broke on Day 16

LisaS89

In the Brooder
May 1, 2021
We’re on day 16 of our broody hen sitting on eggs and today I came out to one pretty badly broken. The membrane looks still intact but a large part of the shell is missing and there was blood in the nesting box. There is still a little bit of the yolk sac left. I currently have it wrapped in a moist towel under a heater. Any chance of saving this little one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 31
I have absolutely no experience with this but if it were me, I would put a piece of plastic wrap across a paper cup, use a rubber band to keep it in place, put the egg in it, put another piece of plastic wrap over it, another rubber band, and then put it back in the incubator. make sure your hands are clean though.
it would look like this (but of course with what remains of the membrane and shell):
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 2.43.39 PM.png

Edit: I realized that it was under a broody :oops: , then I would do the same plastic wrap thing but just put it under the heater instead of the incubator.

I think your moist towel approach is as likely to work as anything else. The plastic wrap sounds good, but the chick will suffocate. The two biggest concerns are that the egg doesn't overheat and that your towel stays constantly moist. Since the egg bled the membrane isn't intact so humidity is critical as is keeping things as clean as possible to avoid infection. Also you'll still need to do some turning of the egg to keep the shell from sticking.

Whatever you're using for a "heater" the more precisely it can be regulated the better your odds of successfully hatching the chick. If you can't regulate the heater as precisely as you need keep it at a distance and adjust the temperature higher. But you don't know what trauma the chick has suffered, so do what you can and hope for the best. There is no guarantee this will succeed, but if it does it might take an extra few days.

Last edited:
I think your moist towel approach is as likely to work as anything else. The plastic wrap soumds good, but the chick will suffocate. The two biggest concerns are that the egg doesn't overheat and that your towel stays moist. Also you'll still need to some turning of the egg to keep the shell from sticking.

Whatever you're using for a "heater" the more precisely it can be regulated the better your odds of successfully hatching yhe chick. But you don't know what trauma the chick has suffered, so do what you can and hope for the best. There is no guarantee this will succeed.
Thank you! All we had for a heater was one of those red lamps so that’s what we are using. I have some sponges around the towel to try to keep it moist.

Thank you! All we had for a heater was one of those red lamps so that’s what we are using. I have some sponges around the towel to try to keep it moist.
The lamp should be fine. Monitor the temperature and move the lamp away if the egg is too warm. A little cool is survivable above 103 and the egg will be in danger.. If you can put the egg in a box or cooler that can help with maintaining a consistent humidity and temperature too.

The lamp should be fine. Monitor the temperature and move the lamp away if the egg is too warm. A little cool is survivable above 103 and the egg will be in danger.. If you can put the egg in a box or cooler that can help with maintaining a consistent humidity and temperature too.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom