Help Egg Crack from Inside - early

davekrista

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
I posted this in the duck area because they are duck eggs but realized I should have posted here.

I'm on day 22 (will start day 23 in 1 and 1/2 hours) and we were just getting ready to go to bed so I was checking the temp and humidity and turning and spraying... I noticed 1 of the eggs had like a crack in it. But it was more of and inside crack, (kind of hard to explain) - so I candled the egg and the baby is moving around in there but he crack is NOT in the air cell. I candled the eggs last night and that crack definately was not there. We've been busy so no one at all has been near the incubator so it didn't get bumped...... Its definately a crack made from the inside. When you run your finger over the crack, its smooth, but its a good enough crack you can definately see...................... So my concern is that it isn't in the air cell, will the duck be ok if it tries to get out while we sleep? Also should I consider going into lock down early and up the humidity? I quickly checked the other eggs (but not candled them) and didn't see any visual cracks like this one...... What should I do?

I've had ducks hatch on day 21 before and also had geese hatch then as well. You should pick up the egg and hold it up to your ear. If the baby is hatching you will hear a faint tapping from inside the egg. If it is silent, then it is not hatching yet and the duck will hatch later.

As for the crack being on the airsack, this is not where they start breaking out of the egg from the air cell. They hatch from the side of the egg and peck in a circle.

Was the airsack intact when you candled? Is that what you were talking about?

The duck will be fine and hatch on its own while you are sleeping if it is time.

Quote:
This is my first hatch, thanks for responding.... I did see the air sac if that is what you are talking about. And the crack is at the other end and goes down the side, but not all the way down. I'm sorry if i'm not clear, I'm excited and nervous at the same time.... I'm going to go check the egg now (if I can find a quiet place without clocks ticking -lol) and see if i can hear...... So IF i am able to hear something then go into lockdown?

*****Ok I did hear like a very soft and fain tapping sound. I had to go into my bathroom to hear it from all the distractions. So does that mean I should probablly go into lockdown?******

Last edited:
If you hear a tapping, then go into lockdown for like a day or two and see what happens.

Generally chicks hatch in the big end. They will peck all the way around the egg in a circle. It can take hours, so be patient.

If the chick was moving around a lot i'd say it's go. That's so awsome!! I remember my first hatch. I stayed home from school to document the hatch for my science fair project.

Good luck and try not to bother them in lockdown. If you can actually do that.

So, the airsack wasn't broken? If not then you've got a while.

Quote:
What do you mean broken? It was a weird shape thats for sure. If you can picture like a "T" where the top part of the T went around the fat end of the egg and the stem of the T starated going down the length of the egg... Hope that makes sense.... Is it supposed to do that? The part where the bird is was black and the T part was very clear and you could see the duck moving around.

So, I'm kinda confused. The crack in the egg is running lengthwise? Or the airsack has a crack in it that shape?

Quote:
No the crack is on the skinny end of the egg and along the back side going the lengthwise and the air sack is in the shape of a T on the fat end and going down lengthwise on the front of the egg.... I haven't done lockdown yet would it be easier if i took a pic?

Maybe. I don't get what you are saying still.

I'll probably feel pretty stupid when I see the pic though.

Quote:
Don't feel stupid, its hard for me to explain but I will try my best.

You can't see the crack in this pic - my camera isn't the greatest - but i have marked it in yellow where the crack is. Also notice where the #3 is, it will help you place the crack on the next pic....
IMG_0679.jpg

This is not the best pic, my camera died just as i snapped this, I need to get new bateries so this is the best i was able to do. I don't know how else to explain it but weird. My others don't really look like this.
IMG_0680.jpg

Ohh! I see now. Thanks for the handy yellow line.

It doesn't look like a hatching crack, just a crack.

The egg will be just fine if the crack hasn't broken the membrane.

I'd continue on schedule, but I might be wrong. Just don't touch anything tonight and see in the morning.

It might be hatching out the wrong end, but no worries there.

If you here tapping it is a good sign of hatching. If you notice the crack is raising up and out then lock down. Wait and see til tommorrow though.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

Back
Top Bottom