Help! Egg in lockdown - brown/yellow liquid drops coming out!!

Quote:
I did this with my hatch that didnt pan out a few months ago and it is not for the sqeemish
sickbyc.gif
Those didnt smell really bad but there were so many poor little chicks that didnt make it! I check with all of my "BAD"eggs, I figure if I can see how they look I can figure out if I did something wrong or if it just didnt develop. It helps me out alot. Just make sure you do it outside and with gloves and hold your breath
sickbyc.gif
:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick

who in the heck would send rotten eggs??? that is just aweful...I only ship eggs that a 5 days or less fresh laid... Someone needs an education.
sad.png

as far as opening the bator during lock down, This last hatch I am just finishing,at day 2 my bator got unplugged, Checked it and temp was in the 70's plugged it in got temps back up. Day 21 no pips. Day 22 one pip. Day 23 3 hatched day 24 1 hatched day 25 2 more hatched. Because of this I kept candling to look for movement. Yesterday when I candled didnt see the pip til I had the egg out of the bator. Put it back in and she hatched and is doing great.I have one more egg in there that so far dont see any pips but am going to give it another day. Candled this morning and really cant see any movement so am thinking a no go but with this weird hatch gonna wait one more day. Openeing the bator so long as you up the humidity first is ok. Just hurry so you dont lose alot of the humidity.

I opened eggs last year when I was hatching with silkiechicken and it was really hard. It was informative...I guess (I don't really know what I'm looking at yet with chick developement)...but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it this year. Each time I would open quitters - to see if they were even fertile or not - I held my breath. My daughter did it on the last batch lol. It's weird, I can fix any chicken that gets injured, stick my fingers up their vents to put prolapse back in, etc etc but I can't open an egg to see a dead chick
sad.png

As far as opening the bator during hatch, I did it a lot last year when I hatched and had all but 3 out of 30 eggs hatch. They died before they went into lockdown so it wasn't the opening which did them in. Now I will admit that I had shrink wrapped chicks and had to help 6 of them. They all made it though. That probably is or can be the downfall of having to open the incubator. I'm trying to be really good this time not do it, but I couldn't let that egg sit in there. I just knew it wasn't going to be pretty
sickbyc.gif

It is nothing, I have the same problem, it is because the humidity builds up during lockdown and if the egg is not completely clean, the water on the egg gets that color. Sometimes the heat makes it dry like this and it gets waxy, and can be removed very easily, but I wouldn't risk opening during lockdown. It is harmless. My eggs like this always hatch and they all come out fine. No problems at all. Good luck!

I am very curious if anyone knows why the egg would ooze out gross brown liquid, two of mine are leaking... sticky gross brown stuff... Today was day 21, but I have had 7 hatch out for me by day 20. Im going to remove and open the ones that have the stuff coming out... well Im going to make my Husband do it :)

I have an egg doing it right now. It's with a hen so I went to check on her and it smelled so bad. Found the egg and put it in a paper towel. It's def leaking from the egg....in a Lot of different places. I don't think I'll ever forget that smell. Oh and for those who don't know, wash your hands with a lemon if you can't get the smell off ;)

I have one egg in my incubator oozing brown laid. There a big puddle under it and it smells. I had no choice but to open the incubator and remove it.

However, I can't clean the incubator and the smell is bad. Not sure if hatching chicks will be affected by the smell.

The humidity did drop ten degrees and I took the egg out fast.

We'll see what happens. This is my first incubation and 50% if my eggs shipped were yokers and quitters.

Back
Top Bottom