Help! Egg is crumbling away and chick isn't ready!

I agree Ruby, it's not ready yet. A bit longer and it should be.

Keeping it moist is going to be the main thing now @farlo4

How did the egg becone cracked in the first place? Did the hen do it?

I agree Ruby, it's not ready yet. A bit longer and it should be.

Keeping it moist is going to be the main thing now @farlo4

How did the egg becone cracked in the first place? Did the hen do it?

We arent sure what happened to it. How do I keep it moist enough? Right now it's wrapped in a damp towel

We arent sure what happened to it. How do I keep it moist enough? Right now it's wrapped in a damp towel
A THIN coat of bacitracin/vaseline or neosporin (without pain relief) will keep it moist or canola/coconut oil. I prefer neosporin or vaseline myself. Ruby gave you some excellent advice!

That's fine, kitchen towel is best if you have some. It's all you can do right now, it needs finish absorbing the blood and yolk etc before it hatches. With all the shell that has gone it may just hatch on its own. I will just find you an assisted hatch article for you to read while your waiting :D

You can put a bowl or cup of warm/hot water in the box (just make sure to take it out when the chick hatches, they can drown easily). That will increase your humidity. And just make sure the damp washcloth stays warm so it doesn't chill the chick. If that inner membrane dries out, it will get tough and hard, which the chick won't be able to get out of it. So you want the environment to be humid, and if the inner membrane starts looking like its drying out and getting hard you can put something on it with a q-tip like I was saying earlier. I like to use plain bacitracin because it keeps the inner membrane pliable.

Thanks guys. I think I have some vaseline. I put some water in there too

Back
Top Bottom