Help!! egg yokes break while cooking..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlover4us, Apr 17, 2009.

1. chickenlover4us

chickenlover4us New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    My egg yokes break often when I crack the egg and pour into pan. While it sits and cooks, the yoke always breaks alot. I'm not sure which chicken has laid them. I heard they need calcium for that. I just feed my chickens cracked corn and sometimes Layeena (I think it's called.) Please help me find a solution. I am also new to raising chickens and I just love it!!!!!!

2. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    [​IMG]

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    The calcium will make the outer shell stronger - I don't think it will help the membrane on the yolk. I just try to handle them as gently as possible when I'm putting them in the pan - I don't know what else to do.

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Hi,
    Just my opinion...but you should be feeding layer and sometimes cracked corn, instead of the other way around. That should fix the problem.

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They need layer feed free choice. Cracked corn is a treat, not a complete diet.

6. Mr_Jeff

Mr_Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Durand, MI
    Crack on a flat surface. Otherwise use a gentle hand while cooking. Don't move them around in the pan or monkey with them and learn to flip without a spatula.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Hello, [​IMG] !

As far as the yolks breaking, I like to crack the eggs into a little bowl one at a time and then slide them into the pan, one at a time. you have to work fast, or some will get overcooked. A lot depends upon the pan, the heat level, etc.

It might, however, have something to do with their diet. It's better to give corn as a treat only, and layer food as their all-the-time feed.

Happy cooking!

edit for clarification. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  8. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    My yolks always break if the pan is too hot. The fresher the eggs the more I have this happen. I have learned to put the eggs in the not too hot pan and then raise the heat once they are in there if needed. Of course I don't cook them with oil (I use Pam spray) so I don't know how that would work with oil.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by