Help eggs to hot to keep

dlfridie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
How do you change the time of day hens lay their eggs?

It's been around 100 degrees lately, and 2 of my 3 hens have started laying after 12pm.
Since those eggs are in the heat all day by the time I come home from work, I 've had to throw them out for 3 weeks now.

Note: Usually, they would have laid their eggs by 9am.
Before I head off to work , I collected the eggs, and I let them run around the yard for 1.5 hrs.

Quote:
Yep, they'll be fine. I used to think you had to run out and round them all up the second they laid them when it was hot out.
gig.gif

Quote:
Wow, sorry you wasted those eggs. Sometimes it's after dark by the time I get home and I can't collect the eggs. I pick them all up the next afternoon and we've never had any problems with them.

Yup, mine are out all day long in 100 degree temps.

I collect them when I get home from work around 5pm, and I have had to wait until the next day to get them.

I've never had a problem.

My Mother almost cried when I told her the eggs hadn't been gathered yesterday by 5...I told her it was ok, that they'd be fine...she looked like I was telling her a mean lie! I'll have to show her this thread!
big_smile.png

Oh great! Thanks to everyone for your responses.
One more crazy question.
A few times I was able to check for the eggs before dark.
I found the Serama hen sitting on the green egg the other hen had laid.
When I retrieve that egg it is extremely hot from the Serama's body heat.
I guess it's still ok to eat it, right?

yup!

And you can even leave them out on the counter!

around here we keep our eggs on the counter at room temp. we also dont wash them unless they are visibly dirty.

Back
Top Bottom