HELP emergency but not medical...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by binkyboysmommy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. binkyboysmommy

binkyboysmommy New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Hi! I first off want to apologize because I know this is not posted in the right place...although it is, an emergency of sorts. I have come here on and off for years but its been a while so I had to register again (using my new email). I am not allowed to post in buy/sell/trade until I have 10 posts so I am kinda stuck. I am frantic. I live in Downtown Derry Nh and have 8 standard/large breed hens, a bantam duck and a little bantam rooster (black tipped japanese white). We raised MJ the bantam rooster from a day old (took him home since the poor thing wasn't doing well at the feed store). He ended up doing awesome!!! We took our chances on the sex. The kids helped raise him (along with the neighbors kids who love him). Due to a hawk issue and a new neighbor moving in with 3 free roaming dogs (resulting in a few near tragedies) we need to keep our chickens in a coop/w run. MJ has gotten frustrated the past 2 months and is crowing A LOT!!! He starts as early as 4:00 a.m and some days will crow every hour for like 10+ minutes atleast..or more. This sets our hens off and they start doing the "chicken alarm". This would not be an issue if it were not for the fact we have neighbors as close as 100 feet from the coop who are getting really angry! Also, the poor thing keeps trying to mount the females and has no luck due to his smaller size..so he keeps slipping. This has resulted in a lot of lost feathers on our hens back (cuts, scrapes etc..). Another thing is we think he is crowing a lot due to a rivalry with our little male duck that has lived as a chicken for 4 years. The duck is fiercely protective of "his hens" so this causes conflict. It has come to our attention that two of our neighbors are getting fed up with him. The son of one neighbor told us "my dad said that if something isn't done that MJ may 'diasappear' or end up shot with a pellet gun!" I later heard the dad shout "shut that %$#@@@# up!" OMG! Its awful!! We desperately need to relocate him ASAP. Other than his crowing he is a very nice rooster. Hes not at all people aggressive and once you catch him is very easy to handle (he lets the kids hold him). Hes good to his hens and a good "watch rooster". If there is anybody near the Derry NH area that can offer him a good, caring home we would be so grateful. We would be willing to drive to meet somebody to try to cut the travel time down. thank you!!

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Would love to help but I live in PA. I have 10 1/2 acres for my over 20 chickens to roam. I know people ship chickens, I just don't know how you would go about doing it.

3. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. chelseypollock

chelseypollock New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    I am a reporter covering Derry, NH for the Union Leader and saw what I'm guessing is your Craiglist ad with the same topic. We were interested in writing a story about your plight, but the ad has been removed from Craigslist and I can't find any other contact info for you. Please email me at [email protected] to talk more about this. Thanks! Chelsey Pollock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by