HELP! EMERGENCY! Chicken is very sick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ameraucanas, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Symptoms-
    -Greenish poop stuck to vent feathers
    -Diarrhea-like consistency
    -Poop smells very bad
    -She is pretty warm to the touch (compared to the other chicken that I checked)
    -Her breast bones are more prominent (it seems like she might be losing weight)
    -Even though she is very sweet, and lets me hold her and pet her, she usually puts up at least a little struggle when I'm trying to do so, but she didn't today (she's also acting weak in other ways, too).
    -Her abdomen is pretty swollen.

About chicken-
    -Her name is Eggo
    -She's 4 years old
    -I love her soooo much; she's more of a pet to my family than anything else.

Thanks for helping!

p.s. She has not been looking too well for the past few days, and has had the green poop problem for a few days also, but it has not smelled bad until today. She seems to be getting worse pretty fast. I ordered some electrolytes to give her, in case it had something to do with the heat, and I also gave her a bath two days ago, but the poop problem came right back.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. jcooper3

jcooper3 Out Of The Brooder

It might be vent gleet. Usually caused by a yeast infection of the reproductive tract, although there are other causes. Do a search on BYC for vent gleet and you will find lots of good advice about how to treat it.

1 person likes this.
  3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Have you tried sugar water while you are waiting for the electrolytes?
    Is she eating?
    What is your weather like?

1 person likes this.
  4. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Very hot and muggy. She is eating. I will try sugar how much?

5. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    The swollen belly makes me think internal laying. If that's what is going on, she might respond to antibiotics. I have not dealt with this but have read about it. I hope you can get her feeling better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by