HELP EMERGENCY EGG BOUND

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by halleyd591, Mar 20, 2017.

1. halleyd591

halleyd591 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    Polish Hen. This morning she was holding her tail out straight and not moving much. Appeared to be pushing (vent was contracting in and out). She finally went to the nest box. When i checked on her 30 minutes or so later she was on her side and very listless. Got her out and soaked her in epsom salt warm water for 15 minutes. Dried her off and let her go. Almost as soon as I put her back down she squatted and bright yellow (i would assume) yoke/white came out. She started to preen and perked up a little. Soaked her for another 15 minutes...same thing...as soon as I put her down she passed the yellow stuff. What's happening? What do I need to do to help her? Now shes standing in the corner with ruffled feathers and crouched down. PLEASE HELP

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She has had an egg break inside. It happens sometimes, and can be common, but I would make sure that she is getting a layer feed plus calcium available to eat as she needs. That includes crushed oyster shell or crushed egg shells. Today I would give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D, or a tums. It can be crushed into some yogurt or given in the back of her throat.
    How old is she? Newer layers make often have soft egg shells at first, and they are common with internal layers or old hens.

3. halleyd591

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    She's 8 months and hasn't been laying long. I have already found a shell less egg about a week ago. She's asleep in the nest box now and pretty out of it. Should I just leave her alone...Will she be ok eventually? Let it run its coarse? Shes pitiful and I don't want her to suffer if there's something I can do

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would feed her some chopped egg or tuna, and give her some calcium, and try to get her to drink. Even finely chopped egg shells would supply some calcium. Then take a disposable glove, and feel inside her vent an inch or two, where you should not feel anything normally.

5. halleyd591

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    Vent is clear. Could it possibly by sour crop?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she is not egg bound right now. She has been passing egg-like material from her vent, so she more likely has some sort of reproductive disorder, than a crop problem with her symptoms. But she also could have a slow crop or other crop problem at the same time. A slow crop can happen during another illness where the crop doesn't empty as quickly as normal. Have you felt of her crop to see if there is any food in it? Check to see if it is empty, full, hard, soft, or puffy like a balloon?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  7. halleyd591

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    Crop felt more firm than balloon like. I massages it and forced her to drink water and she seems to be doing better. I felt a squish and grind while I was massaging. Giving her rooster booster I'm water and gave her a little yogurt. She pecked at some scratch as well.
    If it is a reproductive disorder...What does that mean for her well being?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by