Help! Emergency!!

Chickycat

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Bristow, Indiana
The chicks are 4 weeks old now and we took them outside for the first time, and put them in a cage. They were all doing great, eating gras and bugs, when all of a sudden my under developed chick Lemon Hunkered down started peeping and his head is jerking. He has been like this for about 10 minutes now. I brought him back in side and ihis toes are curled up and his head is still jerking. NO change. Help. What should I do?

could it have maybe gotten overheated? dehydrated? I don't know if a chicken can have a heat stroke but maybe. I would keep it inside, see if you can get it to drink.

He wasn't even out there 5 minutes, and they are in the shade. He is starting to come around, but still hunkering down and hollering and breathing heavy. I brought one of the other chicks in to keep him company. I am honestly thinking he was seized up with fear. I have been in tears not knowing what to do. I put some water on his beak but he ignored it. Now they are both hollering for the others. The other chicks are having a grand time out there. I think it was just too much for Lemon. It was like he was having a nervous breakdown.

No, no fertilizer used here or any chemicals. He started walking around but he keeps shaking his head. He was crying for the other chicks, so we brought them all in. He has calmed down and seems fine except for the shaking of his head. This chick is a very slow developer. All the other chicks are fully feathered pretty much, but he is still growing his flight feathers and still has a lot of chick down. I am wondering if he could be slow mentally also, and taking him outside was just too much for him. He use to get bullied when he was little but now he bullies the others and pecks their feet and leaps on them all the time. Maybe I will wait a week and try again. We will be building the coop soon so he will have to go out in about 4 weeks.
He sure gave me qave scare though, and don't know if he is going to fully recover.
idunno.gif

Maybe he got a bee or something else that stings? One of mine did that - like the third day they ever went out we were sitting there watching them and my white EE pulled a Mr Miagi and snatched a bee out of the air...then proceeded to have a fit shaking her head and acting crazy...I saw it happen, so I kinda worried and honestly kinda laughed...she got over it though and no longer tries to catch any bugs she can't study closely...the grasshoppers chase her around the run now...hopefully all will be well for ya'll whatever happened!

Well, I was right there and did not see anything that may have stung or bit him. There was no reaction from him like he got stung. He just hunkered down and started nodding his head in jerky constant motion. The other chicks came over to see what was wrong, and he backed into a corner to get away from them, still hunkered down and nodding spastically. Then they went on about their business and he just kept acting weird. This chick is one that always ran from me. He did not move or react when I picked him up. The thing that popped in my head was he was having a nervous breakdown.
He is doing fine now, although not as flighty as he has been. He actually let me pet him. I am pretty sure it is a roo. Even though he is developing slower then all the other chicks as far as feathering. His legs are bigger and at four weeks old he is already getting a red comb and the start of wattles. So we will not be keeping him because I want a BO Roster, not a GLW rooster. I hope I can find a home for him, otherwise, hubby will have him for dinner.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this. It really scared me. I love my animals, and it hurts to see them hurting in any way.
love.gif

is there a chance that perpahs he ate a blister beetle or some beetle that was not good for him? I know you are a good mama and thta is why you contacted everyone right away....you did good...just hang in there, keep him calm and keep talking to him.

Well, whatever the problem was, and I still think he was just super terrified, but whatever it was he is back to normal now. He actually does not act as scared of me as he use to, so maybe something good is going to come of it.

Back
Top Bottom