Help, ended up with a meat bird, in with layer chicks

Heres my thread- https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...few-meat-birds-as-pets.1449592/#post-24117780
It has SO much info, tracking my entire learning curb as I knew about as much as you going in.
If Blurp about 3 weeks old? If so, nows the time to separate. Also, can you post photos of your coop/run setup, mostly the feeder setup? I may be able to give you some tips on making the feeder inaccessible to Blurp, but still accessible to the layer hens.

Here is my article- Doodle and Smudge: My adventure with Cornish X as pets
9D7B4744-0C3E-4C5B-B7CE-0A818DA4CAAB.jpeg

I’ve finished the breederminion. I think they miss Blurb more than Blurb misses them. I’ve gotta run out to the barn and get the other waterer for Blurb.

Attachments

• 18015D7D-FFF2-4177-BD25-F1F72A727C12.jpeg
    18015D7D-FFF2-4177-BD25-F1F72A727C12.jpeg
    686.5 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 3034937
I’ve finished the breederminion. I think they miss Blurb more than Blurb misses them. I’ve gotta run out to the barn and get the other waterer for Blurb.
That looks great!
Out of curiosity, do you have a coop and run setup for them once they are adults? If not, than thats probably good. Now to can add Blurps needs into the coop/run build.
Easiest thing would be to get another meaty and just have a separate area for them, but then you risk getting a bunch of cockerels unless you order from a hatchery.
Only thing I'd be concerned about is her eating those shavings because she doesn't have free choice feed. Keep an eye on that and make sure she doesn't. If your concerned about it, switching to puppy pads would be a simple fix.

That looks great!
Out of curiosity, do you have a coop and run setup for them once they are adults? If not, than thats probably good. Now to can add Blurps needs into the coop/run build.
Easiest thing would be to get another meaty and just have a separate area for them, but then you risk getting a bunch of cockerels unless you order from a hatchery.
We are working on building the coop, run but rain is delaying our progress this week. We are going to build a wooden room for the coop into one of our large concrete silos. It’s very large secure and dry with nice ventilation. We will add a clear panel on the roof for light and also add light in case of emergency

We are working on building the coop, run but rain is delaying our progress this week. We are going to build a wooden room for the coop into one of our large concrete silos. It’s very large secure and dry with nice ventilation. We will add a clear panel on the roof for light and also add light in case of emergency
Perfect! That sounds great! Our duck run build is being delayed as well, we're trying to improve out setup.
Do you want to post photos of it so far in a coop thread? BYC members can give you advice and adjustments for your layers, and ideas for things to install for Blurp. I think that keeping Blurp from eating all day, but still allowing the layers to eat all day will be the biggest challenge.

Perfect! That sounds great! Our duck run build is being delayed as well, we're trying to improve out setup.
Do you want to post photos of it so far in a coop thread? BYC members can give you advice and adjustments for your layers, and ideas for things to install for Blurp. I think that keeping Blurp from eating all day, but still allowing the layers to eat all day will be the biggest challenge.
I will post pics to the thread yes 🙂. I weighed out 1oz of feed and I put it in a tray. How much do you recommend in ounces per day at this age. They are all napping now 😴

I will post pics to the thread yes 🙂. I weighed out 1oz of feed and I put it in a tray. How much do you recommend in ounces per day at this age. They are all napping now 😴
When I was raising Doodle and Smudge, I gave her and Smudge 1/4 cup of 18% starter crumble from 3 weeks until they were fully feathered. Then I went to 1/2c gradually. Now as and adult I feed her between 1/2c and 3/4c a day, depending on her weight. This usually varied during season, amount of free range allowed.
2oz is about 1/4c, according to google 3 week old chicks eat about 1-2oz a day.

When I was raising Doodle and Smudge, I gave her and Smudge 1/4 cup of 18% starter crumble from 3 weeks until they were fully feathered. Then I went to 1/2c gradually. Now as and adult I feed her between 1/2c and 3/4c a day, depending on her weight. This usually varied during season, amount of free range allowed.
2oz is about 1/4c, according to google 3 week old chicks eat about 1-2oz a day.
Ok awesome. I posted to the coop thread but couldn’t figure how to tag you, sorry. The thread is called “ I’m gonna call it a cooplo “

Back
Top Bottom