HELP.... Enlarged Crop and worms

upload_2018-6-26_21-13-12.jpeg

Tapeworm and segments:

They are obsolete but vets and pharmaceuticals don’t make money when natural stuff works. I never have chickens with worms and that is all I give them once a month in their food. Not to be argumentative but pumping chemicals into my chickens and then eating the eggs with said chemicals is probably not the healthiest thing to do.

https://beckyshomestead.com/how-to-tell-if-your-chickens-have-worms-and-what-to-do-about-it/
I have many years experience with DE and worms. I can assure you that DE will not treat nor kill worms.

View attachment 1445857
I'm in desperate need of help!! I'm new to the chicken world. A little background info. I got 4 chicken in feb, everything was fine till about last month. I started allowing them to free range and they got worms, I wormed with Wazine as directed(one when had large round worms, but others had very small rice size worms in poop) large worms gone but still had rice size worms so I worked with safe guard (fenbendazole) pea size amount and then 10 days later again. Since 1st treatment i haven't seen anything.....till today!! I added 4 more chickens to my flock during treatment when I saw nothing....
Yesterday I noticed the whole flock had large soft crops, and now one pile of poop had rice size worms.. I'm so lost as to what to do... They are all acting fine, eatting, normal poop (besides one with rice) , free ranging, scratching the ground, etc... Happy Chicken... Please help
Get some Equimax at your feed store, it'll be in the equine section. Dose each bird orally with a regular pea size amount of the paste. You can put it on a piece of bread and give a piece to each chicken. Repeat dosing in 10 days.
th3G3I95CG  equimax.jpg

I have it and use 1cup a week in sand bottom of coop
View attachment 1445857
Get some Equimax at your feed store, it'll be in the equine section. Dose each bird orally with a regular pea size amount of the paste. You can put it on a piece of bread and give a piece to each chicken. Repeat dosing in 10 days.
View attachment 1445859

Thanks! Now the are still under dosage of safe guard, is it ok to give them? I just want these damn things gone and be able to eat eggs again...

Thanks! Now the are still under dosage of safe guard, is it ok to give them? I just want these damn things gone and be able to eat eggs again...
i hate to say this but I didn't have any problems with anything till I started letting the free range...

View attachment 1445857
View attachment 1445859
I’m not disagreeing with you that you may not have had luck with it and just like anything else there is more than one way to skin a cat. I personally don’t use any chemicals on my chickens ever my family eats these eggs and the whole point in raising and breeding more than 150 birds is to stay away from those chemicals. We all have different ways in which to keep are birds healthy I’m simply giving options to the OP and anyone else that my read this post in the future. I don’t mean any offense to you or your suggestions just simply saying that there are options.
Here are natural ways for anyone to decide for themselves
http://thepoultryguide.com/worming-chickens-naturally/
Good luck hope this helps

I could not keep my chickens put up in their coop and run all day because they absolutely love to free range and check out what is out there each morning. They love hanging out under their shady spot under their favorite pine tree during the afternoon heat.

Tapes are rare in chickens, and come from ingesting hosts such as worms, flies, and snails. Some dogs and cats get them from eating fleas or moles. Removing the intermediate hosts can reduce the possibility of recurrance.

i hate to say this but I didn't have any problems with anything till I started letting the free range...
Free ranging really doesnt have anything to do with it.
Tapeworms have an indirect lifecycle. A chicken would have to eat an infected insect in order to get tapeworms. Even if your birds were penned, a chicken will eat any bug that wonders into the chicken pen. Flies, termites, earthworms, and ants are vectors as well as other insects. Dont get me wrong, not all insects are infected.

Each of those segments you saw in the feces carries hundreds of eggs. The segments work their way into and onto the soil where the eggs are deposited and insects eat them.
Chickens peck the ground and soil all the time. If they pick up a tapeworm egg, your chickens will not get infected. However, it's a different story with roundworms. When a chicken picks up a roundworm egg, it basically makes its way through the chicken and is excreted and becomes infective. Then another chicken comes along and picks up the infective egg and the rest is history, it matures in the digestive track feeding off nutrients that the bird should be getting. Then the worms lay eggs again repeating its lifecycle all over again.
Penned birds are more susceptible getting roundworms than free ranging because they are kept on the same soil all the time.
That's why I worm monthly, my birds are penned. How often you worm depends on your soil conditions. Warm moist or wet soil requires frequent wormings.
I eat eggs after worming my birds, I'm still here.
If you think you might be allergic or sensitive to the minute residue in the eggs, feed the eggs to your dog or toss them in the garbage. Dont sell the eggs nor give any away. Dont feed the eggs back to your chickens. No matter how minute residue there is, the next time you worm your birds, the worms may be resistant to the wormer. You would have to increase dosage or use a different wormer. I rotate wormers occasionally. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom