Help! Ewwww - Bugged Out!

NCchickenmommy

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 30, 2010
Charlotte,NC
OK, yesterday morning while I was outside feeding the hens. I noticed on the inside rim of the plastic container I put their feed in that there is like a white dusting all over it. I look closer and it was MOVING! There were thousands of tiny white bugs all over the inside of the container. OK, I freak out, wipe it all off with paper towels and disinfectant. Today I go out and it's all there again - even worse. I notice it in the scratch bin too. What the heck are they? How do I get rid of them? Will DE work? I can go get some this morning. Is all my feed ruined?

Does anyone know what these things are? I'm totally grossed out. If DH finds out, the chickens are GONE!

HELP PLEASE!

That is odd. Your feed is fresh? they are bugs not little maggots right? Try a different dish to see if there is something on the dish that is attracting them. Look at a little feed closely to see if it is from that or the environment. This is all I can think of right now....T

Well, I got some DE so this afternoon will be spent cleaning out EVERYTHING! I haven't noticed the chickens having any problems, itchy, etc. but will treat them anyway. As for the feed, I just went to TSC this past Tuesday to get some FlockRaiser and put a whole new fresh bag in. Could there have been something on the bag or in the feed? It's strange for it to be on the plastic containers, right? I hate to waste all that new feed. Do you think it's safe to dump out the feed, mix with DE, thoroughly clean out the old container and put back? What do you think? Or should I just throw it all out? I'd get a picture on here but I think they're too small to be able to see clearly. Any more ideas?

I also got some Sevin Dust, I'll use that in the coop/run and on the chickens but obviously I don't want to put that in or near their food, right?

Last edited:
Thanks - that could definitely be what they are! Great. Do you think a good cleaning of the entire area and mixing DE in with the food should take care of it. I'm thinking the DE will kill the mites and dry the feed out so it's unfavorable. Or do you think I should throw it all out and start fresh. Then, even if I start fresh how do I know I'm not bringing home more from the feed store. AGHHH, we just have seven chickens in our little backyard, not a big operation! And I'm in Charlotte, NC - it's always humid here!

I guess I wouldnt worry too much about them. If they are grain mites(and this pic kinda seemed what you described)the chickens will just eat the grain and the mites. I would let the store know and maybe they will give you a credit for that bag. Chickens eat all kids of weird stuff and I certainly wouldnt waste a bag of feed. Not that I would buy feed from that store again though! The whole place is probably contaminated with them! Only because you were so observant you saw them! I am not sure I would notice anything like that in my coop...T

Back
Top Bottom