Help! Eye injury! Amputate?

Bird Brain

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Hixson, TN
Yes, amputate an eyeball. I have a silkie chick with an eye injury. Injury bout a week old. Been giving antibiotics to stave off infection, was real swollen at first. Was getting better. Get home from work and ginormous! Thought it had scabbed over but it was the actual eyeball, and I swear I could pulled the eyeball out. Should I? Is not getting better eveidently, and I dont want this little thing to die. its not acting likke it has an infection or sickly. I have been giving it baby bird formula twice a day to make sure it was getting nutrients. But should I take the eye out? Will there be severe bleeding? Anyone experienced this before? Im worried to death over this baby. The eye, even if the swelling ever goes down, will be worthless. Someone make it better!

I have a Blue Orp Roo who is about a year old who recently had an eye injury. Eye was really swollen, and took over a month and 3 different antibiotics to clear up. But it never did scab over like you're describing. It was swollen shut, and hot to the touch, but no scab. My vet was going to remove the eyeball, but the last antibiotic we tried did the trick, finally. Also, he had me putting Neosporin(the name brand, and not with pain relief) 3-4 times a day in the eye. He is blind in that eye, as the eyeball is a white/bluish color, but he is fine. He is in a breeding pen with girls only, so I don't have to worry about him getting picked on by other roos. I'm not sure how you would go about removing the eye. It's not something I'd try to do on my own, but I know my vet was going to do it if the infection hadn't cleared up. I wish I could remember the name of the antibiotic that finally cleared it up, but I don't.

Back
Top Bottom