HELP!! FAST I think my chicken prolapsed. Final Update

Looks to me like she is all in. I'm thinking that maybe keep some ointment on her sores so they stay soft and heal faster. Keep her in the dark for several days. It discourages laying and you want her to heal first.

Here's wishing for a speedy recovery!
smile.png

Make sure she is still eating enough to keep her bodily functions operational

You have done a great job

Keep the vent moist, don't allow the scabs to become hard or she will start pushing trying to remove them ... even if you have some antibacterial or antibiotic cream you can use on them that somebody used at one stage... will help her to heal up quicker..

Make up a weak solution of betadine and water (that's iodine) and gently wash the area, don't rub.. don't use cotton wool.. use gauze... and preferably have the water warm .. and sort of drizzle it over the area to clean it up a bit...

Stand her in a bath with a bath mat under her so she doesn't slip... and gently pour the warm betadine solution over the vent area (don't use salt) (don't use hydrogen peroxide)

you'll be amazed at how quickly they can heal, the rinsing will help to eliminate any bits of scab and also freshen up the vent area and promote healing

pat her dry with a towel or something absorbent but not scratchy like paper.. and apply the cream again.. antibiotic if you have it ..

You've done a great job.. congratulations

Ok, so I'll get some betadine tomorrow if I have a chance. It's supposed to snow early and snow all day long tomorrow. I remove snow, so I could be working all day. UGH!

Ok, don't laugh, but I'm so new to chickens, that I had to go out to the coop, and pick up one of the other girls and look at her bottom to see what it was supposed to look like.

This afternoon was the first time I could tell how all the parts were supposed to function on this girl, so that's a good sign to me.

I'm going to keep her in the house until she is completely healed and until she lays her next egg. That way if it happens again, she won't get killed before I have a chance to get to her.

I keep thinking if I'd got to my wyandotte just a few minutes earlier, when I heard the ruckus, I might have been able to save her. Oh well, that's in the past.

Anyway, I'm going to try to slow her down so she doesn't lay again for a while. I really think that was her first egg, and if she's like my other EEer's, they lay one and take a few days off before they lay another. So I'm hoping I was able to stop the cycle for awhile.

I'll have to build a hospital cage for her and future problems as well. I think the cat carrier is going to get too small really fast.

If I keep her out for too long, will they attack her when I put her back?

I have a 3x3x3 rabbit type of cage that I used when I wanted to keep my hen separate from the rest of the flock while she recovered. I just put the cage in a corner of the coop and covered it with a heavy blanket.

When I checked on her during the day, I would lift the blanket and the rest of the girls would come visit for a while and were curious about why she was getting all the attention. She returned to the flock without incident.

Quote:
I'm certainly not laughing.... your learning as you go .. to me this is wonderful

This afternoon was the first time I could tell how all the parts were supposed to function on this girl, so that's a good sign to me.

Laying an Egg
An interesting event!

http://www.afn.org/~poultry/egghen.htm

This is well worth going and having a look... it gives you a really good idea of what happens when a hen lays and egg... you will be better able to understand the process by looking at this and having a read

I have downloaded it onto my computer and send it to people when they ask me how does a hen lay an egg..

I'm going to keep her in the house until she is completely healed and until she lays her next egg. That way if it happens again, she won't get killed before I have a chance to get to her.

good idea to keep her away from the others until the next egg appears... if she prolapses again she won't be pecked out..

I keep thinking if I'd got to my wyandotte just a few minutes earlier, when I heard the ruckus, I might have been able to save her. Oh well, that's in the past.

We all go through a learning phase with chickens, sadly some of the lessons are a bit hard on the heart stings.

Anyway, I'm going to try to slow her down so she doesn't lay again for a while. I really think that was her first egg, and if she's like my other EEer's, they lay one and take a few days off before they lay another. So I'm hoping I was able to stop the cycle for awhile.

good, just make sure she has enough light in the area your keeping her in to eat and drink enough to keep her healthy.. don't give her any extra proteins.. it will push her into laying

I'll have to build a hospital cage for her and future problems as well. I think the cat carrier is going to get too small really fast.

I don't have a lot of room... so what I did was go to the second hand iron merchant... they had shelving from a department store... I got enough to make up an area I could wire together... I put steel mesh over the top .. it easy to pick up and move to one side to do what I need to do with the sick birds

I put down a layer of plastic.. then news paper on top of that .. about 10 sheets thick... I then bought that non slip rubber that people use on work benches ... it has small holes in it .. and its quite thin... I got mine at a cheap $2 shop in rolls... I cut it to size and put that on top of the news paper

The birds can't slip then

I got enough that I can put one lot down and wash the other... its all reusable so the cost factor is reduced dramatically and everything is resuable.. well apart from the newspaper

I secure the water container and feeder to one of the sides so it can't be tipped over and put a block of wood 4 x 4 for the bird to sit on as a perch... not up off the ground... and I have NO nesting material...

I cover the end where the perch is for the bird to rest.. and leave the feed side open to fresh air and light so she can eat and drink

If I keep her out for too long, will they attack her when I put her back?

They may

When you put her back in with the others.. just stick around for while make sure they are not attacking her .. if they are .. remove her and replace her again in an hour or two... and keep on doing it until they accept her... don't allow her to stay in there .. if they peck at the vent it may well give way and you know what will happen then..​

Last night I found that 2 of our Chickens seem to have this problem. I feel so bad for them. We held her and did the prep h. I tried to do some research on this and from what I read we just have to Waite and see. Is this correct? I also read that it is not very common but 2 of our 5 ended up with it at the same time. Also their feathers seem to be very thin around their buns. Would this be part of the same problem? We get double yokes from time to time but it seems like it was a few weeks ago the last time we had one. I don't even know for sure whom lays the double yokes because they like to all lay in the same place. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Well, she laid an egg today, and no problems. She's looking lots better still today. So I think it's just a matter of getting her healed up and then she should be good to go. The egg still had some blood on it, but I think we are getting there.

My girl seems to have few feathers too, but I think that's from the swelling. Might all come together when it all get back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom