HELP!Favorite ROOSTER had fight, BADLY INJURED Graphic Picture Warning

to clean those wounds you can boil up a quart of water and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt...let it boil for five minutes and then let cool (this will be your "sterile saline" solution). use a q-tip and with this sopping wet dab the wounds ttill the gunk is softened and with a paper towel soak it up (dub rub it hard or anything)... if you have an antibiotic creme such as neosporin put that on afterwards.

Birds in shock need electrolytes... if you do not have proper bird electrolytes in the house see if you (or a neighbor) has pediolyte (this is an electrolyte for children when they have diarrea and such)... if not that gatorade will do in a pinch. Keeping your bird hydrated (so not letting him get "dried out" by not drinking) is very important as your bird will die quicker from dehydration than what ails it. With this in mind do not give dry feed until he is back to drinking >>>wet his feed with water or add some runny cooked (in water not milk) and cooled oatmeal to it (If the condition with his neck is causing him to be unable to drink then carefully dribble water along his beak but do not squirt a bunch of water in his beak because it might go into the wrong hole and down into his airways... he must swallow himself)...

Birds often get the "crook neck" thing when in severe stress or shock and I doubt it is damaged however if it is then you should not be messing around with it too much...birds in general have pretty strong necks despite the fact that they look so delicate... just make a "doughnut" shape with you hand cupping and supporting the neck for now... your main work will be keeping him hydrated for the moment... Birds are pretty strong so dont despair...

Last edited:
how is he this morning? I confess to knowing little about how roosters fight but how would one rooster be able to break the neck of another? Sorry if this is an ignorant question...just trying to think of the mechanism of injury to try and figure out the probability of the bird having a broken neck. Could the birds have fallen from a tree onto the ground perhaps?

Oh I was hoping that there was an update on her rooster......
hmm.png

Quote:
If you've seen then fight you'll know how they fly up at each other trying to use their spurs, sometimes they land upright, sometimes on their back.. well if one landed on his back with his neck streched out and a little off the ground, if the other bird lands on his neck with its full weight... thats all it would take.

Purely bad timing, nothing deliberate.

Sorry. I'm a seventh day adventist so I don't go on the computer on saturdays.

But I'm from New Zealand.

Sorry about the non-update.

It's 7pm right now. Even after all these days, can I still clean his wounds with the salin solution? I think that will really sting though, when I was only using water, he kept jumping back.

How do I know if he's in shock or not? He's really quiet though.

He finally ate a little bit of food today! Not much. It's hard for him to eat I think. I've been dripping sugared-water drop by drop onto his beak. How much water does he need a day? I don't think he gets enough. What are some really healthy foods for him? I've given him a tiny bit of gold kiwifruit and green, and some wheat grains and a tiny bit of persimmon.

Yeah, I don't think the fight was all there was to it. I didn't see it because I was at school, but my sister said they were fighting, then when he was on the ground, the other rooster just kept pecking it, until my sister went out and chased it. I'm actually glad I wasn't there because according to my dad she screamed 10x louder than she does when she sees a spider(which is horribly loud).

But the reason I think that, is because the other rooster looks unscathed.

His neck is still at that angle. It looks like he's trying to get it back sometimes.

He did a really, really, really stinky poo. It smelt like rotten eggs!

Hmm.. maybe you can try to get him to eat his regular pellets too. Just place one in his beak and if he's accepting he should swallow it if he can eat the other stuff. Also, yoghurt might help in additoin to moistening his food.

Quote:
I don't have pellets :eek::
Or yoghurt.

Only powdered unmade yoghurt and I don't have the maker...

Back
Top Bottom