HELP feather picking? Molt? Parasites??!

I have 6 hens, 2 are a year old now and one of them is having feather loss. I read the prior posts and haven't noticed any unusual pecking. This hen is not the one that usually is picked on the the rest of them. Is there a typical age when they would have their first molt? Mine is losing feathers on her upper thighs and they are fluffy ones. I have seen a few tail feathers also.

I don't think so. But as long as the skin looks as normal as your photos…no bleeding, no scabs or abrasions, I think the follicles are intact. Just pulling or pecking the feathers out shouldn't injure them.

Likely next year when they are 18 mo and go thru first adult molt, you'll see new growth. Starts as white "pins" and then feathers.

I was soooo excited when there was hope and I saw growth filling in….. until I saw Big pecking pulling their new fluff. But, she's started going broody today….usually I want it over ASAP, but this time, I think I would prefer she sit,sit,sit… until others can get their fluff back!!!

Again, I wouldn't worry with what I see in your photos…my gals don't seem to care if they are picture perfect, they're still laying lots of eggs and are so lovable.

They free range on weekdays from 3ish-7ish, on weekends they are out whenever I'm home. Their coop is 4x8 with an 8x16 run with a mirror and different roosts and tree stumps etc but pretty much when ever home I let the dogs out to pee and then they come in and he chickens are free!

I'm jealous
droolin.gif
of yours getting part-time ranging. Mine live in a large all in one protected coop with run. Had planned to let them out some, but have so many predators that I have fear of losses. Have plans to add a protected area to let them out under supervision, but delaying that til cooler weather here.

At the risk of boring everyone
idunno.gif
, the following is why I am interested in learning more about why this happens to some of us and not to others:

When I first saw this in my chickens, it worried me for weeks. Posts on our forum get responses to look for lice, mites but I did rule that out. I examined each chicken frequently and never saw any evidence of pests. So, looked for other possible answers. Other common answers indicate a stress issue - and my chickens are not stressed, so I ruled that out and even built onto their run area to make sure we exceeded the space they need. Most on line discussions I could find about this pattern feather loss without pests as the cause were on British forums where many are kept in small backyards, likely in confinement and not free ranging. And the only true scientific publication I could find suggested raising those raised on sand --like mine-- may be a factor. But sand floors would indicate confinement, I think. And I was sure the sand did not "sand off the fluff" since one girl never lost hers. Other discussions suggest an aggressive hen, but I don't have s single aggressive personality in my small flock. Some discussions and blogs explain it that your best layers just lose their fluff, but mine are all equally productive. The book I quoted in an earlier reply was the first to list feather pecking as the primary cause and it helped me stop the frequent chicken physical exams, but they do seem to like me sitting in their run on their poo to hold them!
lau.gif

My theory on this pattern of feather pecking is that those that range ALL DAY are too occupied and doing their own thing, to pull feathers.

I decided to test the theory, but seems no one is responding to the thread I started yesterday. Guess the group thinks It's a stupid or uninteresting topic, but I am still hopeful that there are a lot of us who still look for new information that can help others that experience this and new knowledge is always a good thing.

yippiechickie.gif
If you want to help with the study in feather loss on bums issue to see if we can see a pattern, ck out my thread " Help me prove my theory…"

Help my hen has feather loss on her back. Ive checked for lice, mites etc and nothing. One other hen has a little feather loss and I believe shes molting. I bought a chicken apron / saddle for her. Feather picking? Please help. Thanks

Help my hen has feather loss on her back. Ive checked for lice, mites etc and nothing. One other hen has a little feather loss and I believe shes molting. I bought a chicken apron / saddle for her. Feather picking? Please help. Thanks
Looks a little extreme for feather pecking? Doubt molt, kinda extreme and you should have found a lot of feathers. Double check for lice. Could it have been an averted predator?

If no to all above, do you think you could try to get a clearer photo?

Yeah I didnt find a lot of feathers at all. I'll take another pic and post. No I dont think it was a predator. They are pretty secure even when free ranging. I check for lice, mites and any other parasites daily. I use sevin in their coop nest boxes and enclosure. None of my other 10 have any feather issues. Im stumped. Im hoping the apron/saddle I bought will protect her while feathers grow back.

Back
Top Bottom