HELP! Feather plucking!

shalynnbrothers

Chirping
Jan 31, 2016
Ramona, CA
2 days ago, I noticed a large naked red spot on the side of my 4 week old Wyandotte's neck. No blood, just very red. I assumed this may have been a result of a pecking order dispute. However, just last night, I noticed in our second brooder (all bantams), one of my little D'Uccles running around with a big feather in her mouth showing it off like a mealworm! Shortly after, I noticed a second loose feather belonging to a different chick laying in the bedding! Are they plucking each other!?

I'm so worried for them!! I haven't been able to catch any of them in the act. So, I'm not sure if there's a specific bully or if they're all doing it. What can I do to stop this behavior ASAP?? I already have a red heat lamp bulb. I really don't have the room to separate anyone but they're quickly approaching "move out" time (currently 4 and 5 weeks old). We aren't quite finished building the coop, unexpected rain has slowed the process. Hoping to get all of our standard size chicks out this weekend!

Any advice?

It happens - what is their protein intake? How much space do they have in the coop>

We have 6 standard size chicks (4 & 5 weeks old) in a 4 ft. kiddie pool with chicken wire around it and 5 bantams (4 weeks old) in a 3 ft. kiddie pool with chicken wire and they both have a roosting bar.

I just have them on chick starter. We also give them little live meal worms sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom