Help! Featherless Chicken!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SuperChickenDude327, Dec 6, 2011.

1. SuperChickenDude327

SuperChickenDude327 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a chicken I call Scruffy, 'cause she has NO feathers. What can I do about it? I'll post pics later, but she has little nubs instead of feathers. That's how it's been since the summer.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    she could be a slow moulter?
    Separate her a few hours a day and give lots of protein. A flock raiser like 20-27% protein, canned tuna, yogurt, BOSS.

Check her for mites, worms. Moulting birds are extra susceptible to parasites.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    How old is she? And where are the areas where feathers are missing, or does she not have any feathers at all?

4. SuperChickenDude327

Pretty much all her left side is devoid of feathers. And she's only around a year and a half old.

5. SuperChickenDude327

[​IMG]
    A picture of her left side, pretty much looked like this since July.

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:One of my silkies was like that ( Lily), I thought she was getting picked on but she never showed any blood on her so...... now at about 1 1/2 years old she is finially getting her feathers in, she has never laid an egg or crowed and she is starting to look like a Roo [​IMG].

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I can give my moulting hens tuna? yeah - bought 2 cases when that reactor melted down. (the price of yogurt has eliminated that treat - even the price of milk to make it is too much!

8. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    do you have a rooster?

9. SuperChickenDude327

No roo, just 3 other hens. I let them free range when I'm home, and she's pretty high in the pecking order, just one below the top hen.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  10. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    What do you normally feed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by