!!HELP!! Female Khaki Campbell honking, fluffed up and running around...

Hutchy1989

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2021
Hi everyone, new to posting on here. Hope you can help.

I have two Khaki Campbells one male and a female. Both over two and a half years old. This past month my female Blaze has been periodically fluffs up her feathers, lowers her neck into her body and quacks and honks loudly while running around like a mad woman haha. The male will give chase and try to mate to which she will constantly try to make a run for it.

Yet she doesnt do this all the time and she will just suddenly start out of the blue, running in and out of her house. Is this being broody? Is this a problem?

Hope someone could give me some advice. Thank you

that means she’s scared, my ducks do it when they see animals they don’t know
But im not sure what she would or could be scared of. They are in an enclosed pen. Theyve been there for over a year and she didnt do it before about a month ago.

When she does it he always chases her and tries to mate with her....

Really confusing

Hi everyone, new to posting on here. Hope you can help.

I have two Khaki Campbells one male and a female. Both over two and a half years old. This past month my female Blaze has been periodically fluffs up her feathers, lowers her neck into her body and quacks and honks loudly while running around like a mad woman haha. The male will give chase and try to mate to which she will constantly try to make a run for it.

Yet she doesnt do this all the time and she will just suddenly start out of the blue, running in and out of her house. Is this being broody? Is this a problem?

Hope someone could give me some advice. Thank you
My Rouen ducks would do this, and I never knew why. I tried researching it without finding much. At the time my hens were broody, and they did it when they were off their nests and I assumed it was because they wanted to mate. I doubt it was because they were scared. But they did exactly what you described. And when they did it, my other Rouen drake (I have 2, one grew up with the hens) would run to them and try to mate. That’s why I always assumed they wanted to mate when they did that.

My Rouen ducks would do this, and I never knew why. I tried researching it without finding much. At the time my hens were broody, and they did it when they were off their nests and I assumed it was because they wanted to mate. I doubt it was because they were scared. But they did exactly what you described. And when they did it, my other Rouen drake (I have 2, one grew up with the hens) would run to them and try to mate. That’s why I always assumed they wanted to mate when they did that.
Thanks...i too have searched and searched for answers and never got any so finally joined hoping fellow duck owner and lovers may have the answers.

I too doubted she is scared because its happened really out of the blue. How long did your duck do it for? As i say mines done it for a month off and on.

She also hasnt laid eggs for months too. Could this have anything to do it

Thanks...i too have searched and searched for answers and never got any so finally joined hoping fellow duck owner and lovers may have the answers.

I too doubted she is scared because its happened really out of the blue. How long did your duck do it for? As i say mines done it for a month off and on.

She also hasnt laid eggs for months too. Could this have anything to do it
They didn’t do it for very long, I’d say about a month and also off and on. I never thought it was an issue and they’re fine now. Does your duck have a nest? Have you noticed she hasn’t been around or anything? If she hasn’t been laying she might be broody and have a nest somewhere, when my ducks were broody that’s when they did it.

They didn’t do it for very long, I’d say about a month and also off and on. I never thought it was an issue and they’re fine now. Does your duck have a nest? Have you noticed she hasn’t been around or anything? If she hasn’t been laying she might be broody and have a nest somewhere, when my ducks were broody that’s when they did it.
No no nest at all. She seems fine normally juat fettling around her enclosure, bathing, sleeping eating haha all the usual stuff. Shes never been one to sit on her eggs shes always been happy for me and my partner just to take them. Perhaps shes finally wanting to be a mummy duck haha

No no nest at all. She seems fine normally juat fettling around her enclosure, bathing, sleeping eating haha all the usual stuff. Shes never been one to sit on her eggs shes always been happy for me and my partner just to take them. Perhaps shes finally wanting to be a mummy duck haha
That’s possible, that’s probably what it is. Luckily I don’t think it’s anything bad, maybe she’s just extra happy 😂 I’m glad it wasn’t just my ducks though, I feared something was wrong with them lol.

Back
Top Bottom