Help! Ferret Puking and Churring!!!

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
Our ferret randomly started throwing up and making these "churr" noises.

What could have possibly happened? She was just fine 10 minutes ago, sleeping away and is throwing up and retching? Is there anything we can do for the time being? No vets know ferrets here!

O.k. So she's calmed down a bit (so has my heart...I was freaking thinking it was my fault. I JUST put fabric in her cage on her platforms for some soft surfaces, or course she's puked all over the fabric...and ferret bed I made her..and the walls...)

any dietary changes? different water source? did you use fabric softener or any other treatment on the fabric you put in the cage? has s/he been exposed to any other "new" things (new dishes, leash, collar, etc.)? Has s/he been roaming around the house and possibly gotten into the trash or something that was bad / spoiled? Stolen something weird like a tube of toothpaste or some household cleaner perhaps?

If you think she is a little dehydrated from the pukng you can put a drop of Karo Syrup in her mouth. The sugars will give her a little energy & help her out a little. That is what my vet told me to do when mine started throwing up before.

Yeah... check around th ehouse good... make sure she didnt get into anything dangerous...
Can you feel her tummy? Is it hard or distended or anything? Has she gone poo recently? (just wondering..in case shes blocked up from eating somethng ..)
Does she eat strings/yarn?

Ferret shelter mom here.
Give her some ferretone & Vaseline mix it together she may have a blockage. This will help tings move along.
Also ferrets are VERY sensitive to any smells she may just have sniffed something up her nose. But some flavored Vaseline never hurts!
Keep us posted!

What type of fabric? My ferret had a problem with polar fleece. It's so warm and fuzzy, but when they "dig" in it, they can get the fuzz up their noses, and down their throats. I ended up using a wool sweater sleeve, cut open and sewn to his hammock. Glad she seems to be feeling better. Ferretone is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom