A series of unfortunate events. Are pets worth the heartbreak and empty pockets?

WolfGirlMagic

Songster
5 Years
Nov 9, 2017
This year had been Hell.
Ive rescued and rehomed and given medical treatment to many an animal. But this year has been one to kick a man while he's down, land strike after strike below the belt, and .....
(use your worst torturous imagination to continue the onslaught)

The year started strong with one of my hard work dogs developing IMHA.(immune mediated hemolytic anemia) just days after her birthday. An improper diagnosis at a horrid vet left her needing 3 blood transfusions. Yes imagine the pain of these costs.
During her treatment and hospitalization she had to be seen 6hours away from home. I get home one of these late nights at 3am one morning to find one of my sweet ferrets passed away moments before i got home (still warm and no rigor vet confirmed he passed.No signs of illness prior.)

Then rescue some guinea pigs (some guy was going to give them alive to his dog so threatened and took them away) that were good for a week ad i look to rehome then 2 randomly get sick and one dies. I surrender the others to a shelter and i hope they didnt euthanize them and actually treated the sick one if they could. I usually would take them to a vet but the transfusions took all my savings.

Then work woes cause stress and more financial hardship.
Then one of my ferrets gets a blocked urethra from a bladder stone and needs emergency surgery.
Then my dog relapses in her condition. Caught it before a transfusion thank god. Silver linings?
Half my flock gets got by a raccoon or something because my pet sitter didnt lock a latch properly.
Then my 2 of my other ferrets on a panicked check up look to require surgery for bladder stones as well.
Did the surgeries
My dog costs me for emergency as she had a hematoma hemorrhage after her brother body checked her and her blood thinners made it worse than the bruise should have been and had to be drained.
Then one of my ferrets has complications due to surgery. (Another expensive emergency visit)
My pet rat of 4 years dies of congestive heart failure (i saw it coming but still 😤😭)
My mother brings me a random dying duckling to add stress and sadness.
And here i am at 3am at another emergency vet visit for the same ferret. Told he looks fine clinically but i KNOW he is not doing ok.
Not eating,stumbling, not drinking, tarry black stool. But "bloodwork looks fine, hr, resp rate..." no he isnt okay...
So more money.
More heart ache.
More stress.
These animals make me so happy and enrich my life, and with so many i know more will seem to go wrong, but... this all is unreasonably excessive, continuous, and i feel like somehow im to blame like im doing wrong by them and somehow causing it.
This whole year is stressing my job, stressing my relationships, stressing my health.
It is more than just the pets going wrong. The animals illnesses are sprinkles on the poop cupcake ive been given.
I dont know how to cope anymore. Or what to do....
If anyone reads my ramble: thanks for coming to my depressing Ted talk. I hope your year has not been nearly as crazy and sad as mine

I feel you :hugs
This year has been pretty horrible for me as well, with two of our cats diagnosed with cancer, half my goats getting sick and two dying, and many other smaller problems. So many times I think animals just give me to much heart break to deal with, but somehow I always do.
If you want to take a break, and step away from keeping animals, thats totally ok, and so is keeping going.
And know that, it is not your fault. These things just happen, why I don't know, but they do, never mind how much we wish they wouldn't.
I hope your ferret will be ok.
Lots of hugs

I'm so sorry! Sending you warm hugs! My heart is crushed for you 😢. You have a big heart for animals, never lose that 💗

Did your vet check your dog for any tick borne disease ? My pup had tick borne anaplasmosis that caused the illness that your dog has, she's been responding to treatment with steroids and doxycycline.
Thank you. I appreciate the support.
And the vet says they ruled out anything that would be primary cause of this disease. Cancer, infection, tick disease, valley fever... all ruled out. They simply said her own immune system said to heck with you red blood cells.
We had her on prednisone and clopedigrel and started weanong her off. She was off the meds for a month and a half before relapsing. So we have her back on the high dose, and then going to switch her to another med that doesn't cause muscle wasting and will make her less grumpy. And keep her on it permanently
(Tho those new med os $200 a month, yikes)
I am so sorry your dog got ill with this. It is so stressful on us and them, and the steriods can cause all kinds of terrible symptoms.

How is your dog on the steroids?

I feel you :hugs
This year has been pretty horrible for me as well, with two of our cats diagnosed with cancer, half my goats getting sick and two dying, and many other smaller problems. So many times I think animals just give me to much heart break to deal with, but somehow I always do.
If you want to take a break, and step away from keeping animals, thats totally ok, and so is keeping going.
And know that, it is not your fault. These things just happen, why I don't know, but they do, never mind how much we wish they wouldn't.
I hope your ferret will be ok.
Lots of hugs
Goodness i am so sorry.
It is just a bad year for us i guess.
Ugh sometimes i wish so hard i could step away, but trying to rehome my managerie is overwhelming. I cant believe i forgot about my rabbits i had rehomed to get a call that one was sick because they didnt brush them, then ripped one open trying to shave the mats off, used superglue on the wound. Poor guy had to have surgery, his sister was a matted mess when i got them back, and after surgery he had e. Coniculi infection causing seizures. Then gets gi stasis.
So many rehomings of the more special needs animals i have end poorly im scared to rehome them.
I think you are right in just dealing with it. Somehow we get by, and i need to try and remember that.
I am sending hugs your way about your cats, and i hope your goats make it somehow. Or at least you dont lose more than the 2.
Do you know why they might be sick?

I'm so sorry for your losses... if 20yrs of animal rescue have taught me anything, its that animals can bring such joy and pain... Since January, we've had over 30 of our own rescues & pets die/get sick- We've spent nearly 15k on vet bills in the last year! Every week something new happens... if it's not the animals, it's a job layoff, bank threat of losing the house, illness, car breaking down, family disputes, resurfacing trauma etc, etc.

Just remember that to these animals you take in, to some you're giving them the best life they've ever had. To some, every pat, hug, whispered word of care, meal or bath is the most kindness and love they ever have or ever will receive. You're giving them the best life you can and doing all you can to give them the life they deserve. While it's hard, just remember all your successes and be certain that everything always turns out ok in the end. We just can't see it yet :)

Please be assured of my prayers for you and your lil ones. I really hope things get better for you soon! 💕

If you want to avoid further pain in regards to animals I make three suggestions-
>do not raise companion animals
>do not raise pure-bred animals
>keep your animals as close to nature as possible

Almost every animal on my land is a mutt and they're all extremely healthy. Purebred means inbreeding

Thank you. I appreciate the support.
And the vet says they ruled out anything that would be primary cause of this disease. Cancer, infection, tick disease, valley fever... all ruled out. They simply said her own immune system said to heck with you red blood cells.
We had her on prednisone and clopedigrel and started weanong her off. She was off the meds for a month and a half before relapsing. So we have her back on the high dose, and then going to switch her to another med that doesn't cause muscle wasting and will make her less grumpy. And keep her on it permanently
(Tho those new med os $200 a month, yikes)
I am so sorry your dog got ill with this. It is so stressful on us and them, and the steriods can cause all kinds of terrible symptoms.

How is your dog on the steroids?
Ugh! I'm sorry! She's ok, she's doing much better since she had her antibiotics and the steroids. We've gotten her down to 10 mg a day. Hoping to get her down to 5 mg next week.

Back
Top Bottom