Kitty troubles

Magda12

Songster
May 25, 2022
Southwestern Pennsylvania
I am a cat lover above all animals... Right now I have two kitties. My 15-year-ole Maine Coon, Maks and a 6-year-old black, long-haired semi-feral named Daenerys. I say semi-feral because she still, after all these years, runs from us in certain situations. She's very untrusting, yet she'll also jump up on the bed or couch with you and demand pets. She'll even tap your arm with her little paw if you're not paying attention.

Anyway, I'll try to be brief here. For the past few years, we have been dealing off and on with pee issues. It started when we agreed to watch the neighbor's dog, a very large but well-behaved lab/Anatolian mix. We kept the dog and cats separated, with the cats having most of the house and everything they needed. After the dog came over a few times we noticed pee on the rugs. At first we thought it was the dog, but it was Dany. After that (no more dogs in the house, ever), she seemed to use pee in any stressful situation. We had their litter boxes in the basement and we realized she was peeing on the concrete. Much time, effort and money later, we moved the litter boxes upstairs and my basement still smells like cat pee when it rains.

So I have had her to a vet (they can't find any issues, but she definitely pees when nervous and dumps glucose into her urine when this happens - she tested negative for diabetes). It seems to then give her infections.. or she is prone to these infections. They seemed to happen any time we had a lot of people in the house. I also can't put any rugs down in certain areas (other places she doesn't bother, so it's not the rugs themselves).

This last time (now), nothing stressful has happened. She's been perfectly fine and happy, but she has super smelly poo (like last time) and her pee was pink (I caught her to clean her because her rear end smelled from the poo, which caused her to stress pee and I saw the pink when I cleaned it up). This makes me think there is something physically wrong with her, but I cannot keep spending money on vet bills, not put rugs in places (like by our deck door where we come in from the pool) and have cat pee all over my house.

I can't give her away and I won't give her to a shelter because no one wants a cat who pees and I would feel terrible dumping her off to live the next 4 years in a shelter or bouncing from home to home. My husband suggested having her live outside, but she has been an indoor cat since we got her as a kitten and I will feel awful every time she wants to come in. I feel like it's just time to euthanize her, but it's tough to make that decision because she really is a sweet, if totally neurotic, little cat.

Right now, my mind is made up to have her euthanized this week, it seems like the most humane thing for all of us, but I am open to suggestions. Even the vet is stumped on this one. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry, same thing happened to my sister's cat. What about getting Kitty valium.
We are concerned about the medication in our home (we have kids), also handling it and the cat secreting it. It was a consideration but not worth the risk of exposure (also, my other cat, he's perfectly healthy and I don't want him exposed to psych meds, he definitely takes precedence since I have had him so long). It's also next to impossible to get her to take anything, so it'd have to be crushed and added to food that they both share (and the kid clean up). If it was guaranteed to work, I might be willing to try and drastically change the way we do things, but I just don't know that any animal is worth all that to me, especially when in contrast with my kids' safety.

What did your sister do?

We are concerned about the medication in our home (we have kids), also handling it and the cat secreting it. It was a consideration but not worth the risk of exposure (also, my other cat, he's perfectly healthy and I don't want him exposed to psych meds, he definitely takes precedence since I have had him so long). It's also next to impossible to get her to take anything, so it'd have to be crushed and added to food that they both share (and the kid clean up). If it was guaranteed to work, I might be willing to try and drastically change the way we do things, but I just don't know that any animal is worth all that to me, especially when in contrast with my kids' safety.

What did your sister do?
She had him on valium for a few months and then had him euthanized.

Would you be open to trying something natural? Valerian root extract is very soothing, only would need a drop on a toy and it will mellow her out.

What did your sister do?
The cat won't secrete the medication unchanged. It will be the relatively innocuous by products of metabolism.

If you have a lockable box, even a toolbox you can keep meds out of children's reach.

She had him on valium for a few months and then had him euthanized.

Would you be open to trying something natural? Valerian root extract is very soothing, only would need a drop on a toy and it will mellow her out.
I actually have used valerian and CBD. It really doesn't seem to help.

This time, nothing stressful has happened to her so I really do think something is also physically wrong with her. I just don't know how much time and money I want to spend on this, given that she's also nuts.

Last edited:
Not taking this chance for a cat.
Of course. You mean medication? I understand. The vet will probably advise some form of med. It is definitely a long-standing stress pattern. Lots of cats do develop it, including a kitten I once saved from the street

Back
Top Bottom