Dog eating chick poop

PeachyPeckers

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
Suggestions to stop dog eating chicken poop.

My female, 12 year old border collie eats chicken poop, licks her vulva nonstop and gives herself a uti... then proceeds to wake me up every night at 2am cause she thinks she needs to pee. This is an ongoing issue with her. I don't care about eating the chicken poop, it's the obsession with licking herself and getting a uti. But unless she stops eating the poop, this is going to keep happening.

I had the chickens in a tractor enclosure for a couple of months and she didn't get to eat any poop and didn't have a uti the whole time. But as soon as I let the chickens free range, she goes at it again.

I tried giving the chickens pineapple to make the poop taste gross and it does work, but I can't remember to give them pineapple every single day, plus too many treats isn't good for them. Yall know of anything I can add to chickens water or food to make it gross to the dogs?

I'm just tried of being woken up at 2am because she has to go pee and I am tired of having to give her uti medication all the time.

My other dog eats the poop, but he doesn't lick himself constantly so he doesn't have this problem. He eats all the poop he wants and I don't have issues with it.

Suggestions to stop dog eating chicken poop.

My female, 12 year old border collie eats chicken poop, licks her vulva nonstop and gives herself a uti... then proceeds to wake me up every night at 2am cause she thinks she needs to pee. This is an ongoing issue with her. I don't care about eating the chicken poop, it's the obsession with licking herself and getting a uti. But unless she stops eating the poop, this is going to keep happening.

I had the chickens in a tractor enclosure for a couple of months and she didn't get to eat any poop and didn't have a uti the whole time. But as soon as I let the chickens free range, she goes at it again.

I tried giving the chickens pineapple to make the poop taste gross and it does work, but I can't remember to give them pineapple every single day, plus too many treats isn't good for them. Yall know of anything I can add to chickens water or food to make it gross to the dogs?

I'm just tried of being woken up at 2am because she has to go pee and I am tired of having to give her uti medication all the time.

My other dog eats the poop, but he doesn't lick himself constantly so he doesn't have this problem. He eats all the poop he wants and I don't have issues with it.
Shame thus sounds like a pain. Try enclosing your chickens in a fence, it works well. Mine is electrified from nemtec

Shame thus sounds like a pain. Try enclosing your chickens in a fence, it works well. Mine is electrified from nemtec
Here's a picture of what mine looks like:

16913356856437001553209228353513.jpg

I tried an electric fence and the dog got stung once and is now terrified of the chickens. It sucks because she used to hang out with me and them all the time. I don't want her to be more afraid of the chickens, I just need her to stop eating the poop. I did keep them enclosed in a tractor for awhile but the thing is a huge pain to move around that I just want to be able to let them free range. Hoping for a water addictive or something to make the poop gross to the dog.

Unfortunately I think enclosing the chickens is the only sure fire way to stop it.
I tried that and the chickens are pretty miserable being enclosed. I have a tractor enclosure but it's very difficult to move around so the chickens don't really have much to scratch and peck at once they've destroyed the area. Hoping for a water additive or something to make the poop gross.

I tried that and the chickens are pretty miserable being enclosed. I have a tractor enclosure but it's very difficult to move around so the chickens don't really have much to scratch and peck at once they've destroyed the area. Hoping for a water additive or something to make the poop gross.
I don’t think there is such a thing unfortunately. I know they make chewable tabs and stuff for dogs that eat dog poo but I don’t think they make anything for chicken poo.

UTI's are very common in older dogs, especially females. It may seem like cause and effect when she eats the chicken poop but I doubt that is the problem. Talk with your vet to check for things like crystals or bladder stones, or additives to her water/diet to acidity her urina

UTI's are very common in older dogs, especially females. It may seem like cause and effect when she eats the chicken poop but I doubt that is the problem. Talk with your vet to check for things like crystals or bladder stones, or additives to her water/diet to acidity her urine.
Of course I have already had extensive conversations and testing with my vet. She agrees it's from the chickens poop because the test shows ecoli bacteria every single time, and it doesn't happen when the chickens are locked in the tractor and she doesn't have access to the poop. She eats chicken poop, licks herself, thus introducing the bacteria... then continues to excessively lick herself because she's started feeling the symptoms of a uti, then positive for a uti. This doesn't happen unless she's eating the chickens poop. At this point my vet has gives me holistic, natural over the counter methods of treatment for uti because we don't want to do antibiotics again and again. I'm just hoping for something I can add to the chickens water to stop her from eating it. She doesn't eat it when I've fed the chickens pineapple (i believe this really does work) but I can't do that everyday.

Of course I have already had extensive conversations and testing with my vet. She agrees it's from the chickens poop because the test shows ecoli bacteria every single time, and it doesn't happen when the chickens are locked in the tractor and she doesn't have access to the poop. She eats chicken poop, licks herself, thus introducing the bacteria... then continues to excessively lick herself because she's started feeling the symptoms of a uti, then positive for a uti. This doesn't happen unless she's eating the chickens poop. At this point my vet has gives me holistic, natural over the counter methods of treatment for uti because we don't want to do antibiotics again and again. I'm just hoping for something I can add to the chickens water to stop her from eating it. She doesn't eat it when I've fed the chickens pineapple (i believe this really does work) but I can't do that everyday.
Can you try adding the pineapple to their water? Or maybe just some pineapple juice or something would be easier to just pour into the water? If it works, I would keep doing it.

Back
Top Bottom