Dog eating chick poop

Can you try adding the pineapple to their water? Or maybe just some pineapple juice or something would be easier to just pour into the water? If it works, I would keep doing it.
I was thinking about that too. I'm not sure if it would make the water go bad if I leave for more than a day or if it would even be enough of an amount of juice to be effective. I'm probably going to try it and just make sure to check and smell the water every day to make sure it's not spoiled.

I was thinking about that too. I'm not sure if it would make the water go bad if I leave for more than a day or if it would even be enough of an amount of juice to be effective. I'm probably going to try it and just make sure to check and smell the water every day to make sure it's not spoiled.
That sounds like a good plan.

My suggestion would be to train your dog. Border collies are extremely intelligent and trainable. Find yourself some dog training books or videos (I am partial to The Art of Raising a Puppy, but your dog is probably too old for that).

A shock collar (doesn't actually hurt) is a training option. Dog gets zapped every time she eats chicken poo. Also take her around the poo and do positive reinforcement when she doesn't eat it. Dogs can be trained to do (or not do) almost literally anything. You have a very smart breed. It's just going to take a lot of time, effort and patience on your part.

My suggestion would be to train your dog. Border collies are extremely intelligent and trainable. Find yourself some dog training books or videos (I am partial to The Art of Raising a Puppy, but your dog is probably too old for that).

A shock collar (doesn't actually hurt) is a training option. Dog gets zapped every time she eats chicken poo. Also take her around the poo and do positive reinforcement when she doesn't eat it. Dogs can be trained to do (or not do) almost literally anything. You have a very smart breed. It's just going to take a lot of time, effort and patience on your part.
I have tried training her on this. She just waits until I turn my back. Yes border collies are smart, and she is smart enough to know when I'm not looking or I'm not around lol she has done well when I'm outside with her but if I go into the house, I can see her from the window going right back to eating it. BC's are very smart indeed.

I have tried training her on this. She just waits until I turn my back. Yes border collies are smart, and she is smart enough to know when I'm not looking or I'm not around lol she has done well when I'm outside with her but if I go into the house, I can see her from the window going right back to eating it. BC's are very smart indeed.
Maybe an e collar could help with that. They have ones with just vibration or beeping and no actual shock. But you could use it to reinforce when you’re inside, the rules still apply. Beep her through the window. I did that with my last dog who would lunge at the chicken pen when I wasn’t looking so I just stood inside and used the collar and it was like WHOA THERES STILL SOMEONE WATCHING ME.

Maybe an e collar could help with that. They have ones with just vibration or beeping and no actual shock. But you could use it to reinforce when you’re inside, the rules still apply. Beep her through the window. I did that with my last dog who would lunge at the chicken pen when I wasn’t looking so I just stood inside and used the collar and it was like WHOA THERES STILL SOMEONE WATCHING ME.
Hahahaha maybe I'll try that beeping thing. I had a temporary electric fence up around the chickens once and she got shocked when she went too close and now she is terrified of the chickens themselves. It's sad because before she got shocked, she came to hang out with me and the chickens but now she won't go near them. She's sensitive and one small shock changed her behavior into what I didn't want to happen. I don't really want to actually shock her for eating poop and her become inadvertently afraid of something else that she shouldn't be afraid of. But the beeping thing might work. I just don't know how to take care of this poop eating issue when I can't watch her.

Hahahaha maybe I'll try that beeping thing. I had a temporary electric fence up around the chickens once and she got shocked when she went too close and now she is terrified of the chickens themselves. It's sad because before she got shocked, she came to hang out with me and the chickens but now she won't go near them. She's sensitive and one small shock changed her behavior into what I didn't want to happen. I don't really want to actually shock her for eating poop and her become inadvertently afraid of something else that she shouldn't be afraid of. But the beeping thing might work. I just don't know how to take care of this poop eating issue when I can't watch her.
Aww that is sad. I think just the beeping one would work for her. And once she thinks someone’s always watching her (even if you’re not actually) it should stop.

I have an 11 year old BC that has also taken to eating chicken, duck and sheep poop, sheep poo being her favorite. Like with you, training is ineffective as she waits until I'm not looking to snarf it up. She hasn't gotten any uti's from it, though last year she was licking her rear obsessively and it turned out to be perianal fistulas. I'm going to follow this post in case someone has a sure fire solution to the poo eating problem.

Thing is, shock collars don't actually shock. It's more like a vibration. It doesn't hurt. You can look up videos on YouTube, there are dog trainers that go around educating people on shock collars, they turn it all the way up and have people touch it, doesn't hurt, it's just enough to be uncomfortable and get the dog's attention.

Thing is, shock collars don't actually shock. It's more like a vibration. It doesn't hurt. You can look up videos on YouTube, there are dog trainers that go around educating people on shock collars, they turn it all the way up and have people touch it, doesn't hurt, it's just enough to be uncomfortable and get the dog's attention.
Some of the super cheap ones I think do shock cause I used to have a cheap one and had it on a very very low level and he yelped once and I felt really bad and never used that one again. Bought a really nice one after that that’s supposed to be blunted stimulation, like a TENS machine, and it is. I can’t even feel the level I use on him. I’ve tried it on myself before. So I would say to be careful with some of them. But yeah, the nice ones don’t hurt. I have the Mini Educator from E Collar Technologies.

Back
Top Bottom