Help figuring out the Orpingtons

Mystery-chicken

In the Brooder
May 15, 2023
Hello- I have 2 Orpington mix chickens. I got them about 5 weeks ago, and they were already around 3 weeks old or so. I think the lavender one was potentially even older, so they’re both around 8 weeks old. I haven’t noticed any particular rooster-like behavior, but this is also an unfamiliar breed to me. I keep looking for hackle and saddle feathers, but not seeing any. The gray splash chicken also has funky feathers that are difficult for me to read. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I included a few pictures of my (assumed) Olive Egger hen. Not seeing any sharp feathers on her, but would love some confirmation since she was my first. I got 8 Olive eggers originally, and I ended up with 7 for sure roosters which has made me overly suspicious of all of them now. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4097.jpeg
    IMG_4097.jpeg
    881.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4095.jpeg
    IMG_4095.jpeg
    923.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4094.jpeg
    IMG_4094.jpeg
    829.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4096.jpeg
    IMG_4096.jpeg
    977.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4099.jpeg
    IMG_4099.jpeg
    938.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4093.jpeg
    IMG_4093.jpeg
    858.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4092.jpeg
    IMG_4092.jpeg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4091.jpeg
    IMG_4091.jpeg
    822.9 KB · Views: 27
Your lavender one looks like our pullets did. I would lean towards pullet if that one is older but only time will tell . Best of luck!

Hello!

Hello- I have 2 Orpington mix chickens. I got them about 5 weeks ago, and they were already around 3 weeks old or so. I think the lavender one was potentially even older, so they’re both around 8 weeks old. I haven’t noticed any particular rooster-like behavior, but this is also an unfamiliar breed to me. I keep looking for hackle and saddle feathers, but not seeing any. The gray splash chicken also has funky feathers that are difficult for me to read. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I included a few pictures of my (assumed) Olive Egger hen. Not seeing any sharp feathers on her, but would love some confirmation since she was my first. I got 8 Olive eggers originally, and I ended up with 7 for sure roosters which has made me overly suspicious of all of them now. Thanks in advance!

The first two are pullets, but I’m not sure about the last (black) one. I’m leaning towards cockerel, simply because of the iridescent feathers (not a definite indicator), large red comb, and curved tail feathers (sickles and saddle). If he/she is also eight weeks old, I’d assume that it’s a cockerel.

Hello!

The first two are pullets, but I’m not sure about the last (black) one. I’m leaning towards cockerel, simply because of the iridescent feathers (not a definite indicator), large red comb, and curved tail feathers (sickles and saddle). If he/she is also eight weeks old, I’d assume that it’s a cockerel.
The Olive Egger is 13 weeks old- forgot to include that. I am 95.6% sure she’s a pullet based on the rounded hackle feathers and saddle feathers, and the high-set firm tail feathers, but I’m waiting to see

Back
Top Bottom