Help finding GOOD home for handicapped Call ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AliciaM, Jan 1, 2014.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Id like to find 3 of my special needs call ducks a new home.

One has a bent/twisted neck. I call her Flippy. When she hatched, she would flip over on her back constantly.. I built her a sling in a cup to hold her upright.. I did this for over a week and had told her that she had 1 more day and I was going to have to put her to sleep if she didnt improve.. Well, she quite flipping... She still does it occasionaly if she gets knocked off of something, but can get back on her feet MOST of the time.. She gets along with the rest of my flock, but I worry about her all the time and feel she would do better in a smaller setting.

Another one I call Twisty Bob. She is a pastel call duck hen. She always looked "off" after hatching and was slower to grow than the others of the same clutch. She tends to stand more upright like a runner. Ive always thought it was in her hip area, but I do not know for certain. She kind of wobbles when she walks. I keep her wings UNclipped so she can fly to keep up with the rest of the ducks when they are running across the pen. She has NEVER flown higher than maybe 5 feet from the ground.

Both girls were hatched early spring 2013.

The 3rd one im concerned with is a white drake. He is not very old.. Maybe 6 months. He had a hard start in life. All of his clutch mates were sick and were medicated alot and I think that kind of delayed his growing. (I didnt own him at that time) He has a twisted wing and I think a twisted foot/hip.. . He also had lice (which is now gone) which I also think kinda hindered his growing...
    BUT he is looking realy good now except for the wing and the twisty foot...He has caught up on his growing.. I call him Dilbert. With the rain and mud weve had here, I have not had him out with the rest of the flock, he is in a large hoop hut with a couple of friends for company. When he is not in his pool he tends to walk around very little and when he does walk, he kinda wobbles... He LOVES his pool.

Id like them all to go together to a safe and secure home..

I assisted both girls at hatch, and I believe that if I hadnt helped, neither one would have made it thru the hatching process.

I am in YELM, WA.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm too far to take them from you, but I hope they find good homes! Also, I think Flippy has wry neck. She's had it for a long time but you might be able to get her to at least improve if you start giving her vitamins. You could try Poultry Nutri Drench, that's what I've had good luck with.

3. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    I will get some of that and start her on it..Thanks for the advice...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by