HELP: FIRE ANT ATTACK

Barbie Q

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2022
I am fostering a guinea fowl that was attacked by an army of fire ants a few days ago (it was brought to me today). The Guinea is eating, drinking, and is alert. It tries to scoot itself around and has use of its wings but can’t stand or walk. She seems ok, otherwise.

I’ve given it a dose of Poultry Cell, a dab of Vitamin E/Selenium paste, and tried to get some diluted Benadryl in it but honestly not sure how much of it she got in her. I have her isolated.

If anyone has had any experience with fire ant attacks and this kind of paralysis type response in poultry, PLEASE RESPOND!! I need to know if there is anything else I can do or if it is best to humanly cull.

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_3195.jpeg
    IMG_3195.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 57
Do you happen to know what it was being feed before you got it and what is in the bowl in this picture?

Ants are probably not likely the cause of this bird not standing.

Do you happen to know what it was being feed before you got it and what is in the bowl in this picture?

Ants are probably not likely the cause of this bird not standing.
It was being fed Kalmback Flockmaker crumbles before I got it. Same thing in the bowl but I made it a mash. The water has Poultry Cell in it. I’m just trying to help her however I can at this point, if that’s possible. She was found infested in fire ants. Any ideas what may be the cause and if there’s anything I can do?

It was being fed Kalmback Flockmaker crumbles before I got it. Same thing in the bowl but I made it a mash. The water has Poultry Cell in it. I’m just trying to help her however I can at this point, if that’s possible. She was found infested in fire ants. Any ideas what may be the cause and if there’s anything I can do?
She is also housed with over 20 other guineas and 30 plus chickens. I don’t think any other poultry have similar symptoms.

I have over 100 here. If it’s more likely that it is something contagious, I should consider moving her!

Back
Top Bottom