HELP - First aid for a silkie bantam attacked by a Red Tail Hawk.

You might want to check out this website: http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com. It's by a long time member of this group. Her advice has been invaluable to many of us.
This is from the Mississipi State University Extension Service:
Aspirin Solution
Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions os birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.
Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.
Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinkin water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.

That being said, I usually just scrape a bit of aspirin from the tablet onto some extra yummy food like pieces of grape. Since like you, I am usually taking care of a single injured bird. You might also see to it that she gets extra protein, since that helps the healing process (according to my vet)
I understand about not having the money to shell out for veterinary care. My last visit for my injured hen ended up costing me about $80.00. That's a lot of eggs!! I told my little Rhode Island Red hen, Rhonda she had better start laying again real soon, in order to pay off that bill.
lol.png

Sorry about your poor little girl!
hugs.gif

The aspirin will probably help some with pain, but it will not decrease swelling, it is not an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen (and I don't know if you can use ibuprofen in chickens, maybe somone else will know).

Is that pus around her eye? Honestly, she probably needs systemic antibiotics more than anything... did you end up giving her some? Plus the rinsing with saline and supportive care you are already giving her. Do you have some pedialyte or vitamins you can put into her water?

Will keep my fingers crossed for you guys...
fl.gif

This is great info. I really value your advise, and am kind of choked up at how much you seem to understand. I fried an egg in olive oil this morning and Sheba ate the whole thing! Tomorrow I'm going to mix the egg with a scrape of asprin, like you suggested, and give her some vitamin water with an eye dropper. I'm not sure she is drinking, but her appitite seems to be fine. She is looking dirty now, so on Sunday I plan to give wash her. Is that a bad idea? I wish I could find a cheap way to give her antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom