HELP - First aid for a silkie bantam attacked by a Red Tail Hawk.

Dulcijean

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
Bel Air, Maryland
I had a red tail fly under the hen house (which was mostly protected) grab the largest bird and try to eat her right there. When my husband managed to run at them, the hawk couldn't lift the hen to make a get-a-way.

She is breathing fine and eating and drinking normally. It looks like the hawk grabbed her head and punctured her eye. The wound is oozing, so I cleaned it with peroxide as was suggested, then put triple antibiotic ointment over that side of her face. That side is really swollen, but she seems no worse for wear. None of the bantams have any desire to leave the safety of their coop. What else should I do?

Can you take her to a vet? Severe infection in the eye can spread failry easily into the blood. You probably need Baytril (antibiotic). If she has any other wounds (non-eye) Silver Sulfadiazine mixed with preparatiion-H is an excellent external remedy for severe laceration/large wounds. We've saved two ducks and a chicken with that (given to us by a vet -- so you need to get someone to write you a prescription; but you need a prescription for baytril anyway). These were HUGE wounds -- in each case skin and muscle taken from over half their backs by a predator. The SS-prep-H mixture outside with baytil taken orally is a powerful combination for woulds caused by predators.

I would give her some aspirin for pain and as anti-inflamatory. Leave the wound open to let it ooze. Keep cleaning it with saline solution. After the first day, stop using hydrogen peroxide because it damages healthy tissue. If you think the eye can be saved, use saline solution specific for eyes, like the stuff used for contact lens cleaning. Keep the hen in a clean place, separate from the others so they won't peck at her. I usually use a laundry basket and old towels or t-shirts for the bedding.
Once you give a hen antibiotics, you are not supposed to eat the eggs.
Keep a good watch on her. It is amazing what they recover from.

Would teramycin work? What about tripple antibiotic? I think it's eye goo that is oozing. If I could figure out what to type between the
, I'd upload a picture of the damage to her eye.

According to my vet, terramycin is generally not strong enough for chickens. Last time I took my badly injured hen to the vet, she prescribed Clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate/cluvulanate potassium) 62.5mg/ml. I got a 15ml bottle. the directions were to give 1.6ml's by mouth twice a day for 5 days. My vet also told me that this dosage is strong anough to kill a cat or dog.
I ended up not giving it to her, because she really did not need it. She healed up fine without it. You want to be carefull about using antibiotic willy nilly, but when you do, it is wise to get the right one and the correct dosage and use it for the time directed.
Just watch her, keep cleaning her with saline solution a couple of times a day and let the eye ooze. Considering it is the eye, I would probably take my chicken to the vet. I happen to have one nearby that doesn't charge an arm and a leg (only an arm). I understand that not everyone can take their chicken to the vet. So I'll gladly help by sharing what I learn from my vet. But please know that this is based on my experience with my chickens and my vet.

Would penicillian work? I think I may have hurt her eye by washing her face with peroxide. I'm using warm salt water now. If I were to give her asprin, how much?

Last edited:
That eye looks really bad. How is your little chicken doing? I was unable to get on line for a couple of days. I've been thinking a lot about her though. I hope she is doing better. Did you get a chance to take her to a vet?

You are so very kind! I've been washing her eye out twice a day with warm salt water. I put her in a box and she is now in our laundry room. She has her own food, water & nesting box. She is still eating and drinking water, so I am hopeful. We are really not in a financial position to be able to afford a huge vet bill for our sweet little hen, so any advise I get on this forum is her best hope. I made the mistake of washing her eye out with peroxide the first day (that may be why it is so damaged). I got some well meaning, but bad advise. Thank you for caring!!!

Back
Top Bottom